Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

new prairie 700

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new prairie 700

I pick up my p700 tomorrow! This is my first quad. I am a long time dirt bike (RM 250) enthusiast, but had to try the four wheel thing as my driveway ends on BLM land with hundreds of miles of dirt roads heading up as high as nine thousand feet. That brings me to my question: I live at 5000 feet and will do most of my riding between six and seven thousand. Do I need to do anything to my new quad's carb or maybe it's dialed in at the shop? The shop is also about a mile high. Thanks in advance, DC

Old 04-29-2004, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default new prairie 700

I don't think there will be any necessary changes, but I'm not sure. Let your shop know the situation AFTER purchase. There's a chance you'll get charged extra if you have to rejet before the sale is final. When the sales good and done, just say "Oh, about my elevation......."

Old 04-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default new prairie 700

I've had my Prairie up to 9,000 feet, and normally ride between 6,500 and 7,500 feet. I haven't done any rejetting, and it runs fine. Yeah, it's probably rich, but so far, no problem. Not even a fouled plug.

By the way, where do you ride out of Gardnerville? Somewhere up SR-89?

Old 04-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default new prairie 700

The dealer needs to rejet and dial in the clutches as part of the deal. They know the elevations you will be riding at as well as you do.

When I got my bike, it was part of the package. It's nothing but labor for them as the parts costs are piddlin'. If you pay for it, figure $100-$300 for something they should have done already. After the money changes hands and the dust settles, you should have a bike that's tuned for local conditions without you spending more money the next day with them. Having to buy stronger sidewall tires is bad enough...it is analagous to buying a bike with no tires, but paying for them anyway.

Might as well find out now what kind of dealer you have. A lot of quad buyers select the dealer, then buy the bike, although I'm not saying you did anything wrong....the guy might be just swell. Including carb and clutch tuning will also give you an idea how he is going to handle warranty probs (if you have any). The dealer more or less influences kawasaki regarding warranty items, whether it's a wear item or parts defect. Talk to him about the tires and tuning, show him your serious side.

I drive 45 miles to Castle Rock to get any service I can't or don't want to do, rather than 5 miles to my local dealer. Don't trust the local guy that he will put someone good to work on my machine and they won't let anyone even look into their shop, much less observe.

Buy the service manual, $45~, and you can follow this forum better on tech tips or just stuff that comes up. Ask the forum about where to get any parts or tools you need.... e.g., my local guy wanted $17 for 8 small bolts.

I knoooow you are excited about your new bike. (Oh, take your knife and scratch it after you take pics, then you won't have to worry about that any more.)

Old 04-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Range Rover
Default new prairie 700

Originally posted by: kawiyowee
I knoooow you are excited about your new bike. (Oh, take your knife and scratch it after you take pics, then you won't have to worry about that any more.)
LOL.... Aint that the truth!!! I remember washing and armoralling mine after each ride, and about died when even after the second ride it was scratched!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] But now... who cares... it's an atv... if it ain't scratched.. your not riding it hard enough!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2004, 11:01 AM
Pro Rider
Default new prairie 700

You should need to rejet and most shops in the Denver area include it but you need to make sure its done right. I ride from 5,000 up to 13,000 and most certainly have had to rejet to run right. My p700 took three tries and two dealers to get it right. The dealers skill makes all of the difference in the world with how well its done. Where I bought mine their guaranteed high altitude set up but just changed main jets according to the book sizing for the altitude and that didn't work. They never got it right so my I was going through plugs and no seeing the full power of the p700. So I took it to the same dealer I think kawiyowee is talking about (xtreme performance) since they have dynos at altitude and had done runs on the p700 to prove their set up that included jet, needle and cvt spring changes. Wow what a difference that made. Of course had I bought it there it would have been included…

Old 04-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new prairie 700

Wow, fast and freindly responces to my first post here. I am impressed. Yes I am very excited to pick up the new p700! Part of the reason I chose that particular quad is this forum. I've been a fly on the wall for a couple of weeks and the Prairie 700 is the winner. Sounds like I'm in for quite a ride! My purposes include orchard work and miles of high desert, mountains, and sandy washes to explore. Gardnerville, NV is in the Carson Valley between the Sierra (Lake Tahoe area) and the Pine Nut mountains. I live at the base of the Pine Nuts which are over nine thousand, remote, accessible, and all public land-ORV paradise! Plenty of old gold mines to explore, deer hunting, and mysterious trails that head off toward, well, who knows.

The dynotek CDI will be my first modification, again because of what I've read here. Will this void my warranty? DC

Old 04-30-2004, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new prairie 700

Magnesium
Welcome to this forum! With respect to the cdi/warranty issue, I don't know if technically the Dyna cdi will void your warranty. Perhaps the best thing to do is to reinstall your stock cdi whenever you go to the dealership for repair work/maintenance work. That way, it won't raise any questions.

PS - Your first or second mod should be a new set of tires! The stock dunflops are no good IMO.

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2004, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new prairie 700

Hi Magnesium,

I live in Minden, right up the road from you. I have been riding in the Pine Nuts for over three years. We should get together.

nvken

Old 04-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default new prairie 700

Also, read the "What Breaks First" post above yours.