Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

What is the most direct approach to modifying a stock prairie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004 | 10:32 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default What is the most direct approach to modifying a stock prairie?

I have a P650 bone stock with 385 miles. I am looking to do some mods but don’t have a money tree in the back yard. :~(I can’t afford trial and error) I was thinking of installing an HMF full system, re-jetting, DG Snorkel, Module, 700cc belt, and 700cc driven spring. I would like honest feed back from people that have done mods to their P650’s & P700’s is this a good way to go... Should I go with another set up... all the help that could be given would be greatly appreciated.
I would like to make the general comment of how awesome this forum is to lean on for questions. There is not one ATV dealership in my area that has any idea about Prairie mods.

Old 11-01-2004 | 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

I like your plans EXCEPT I would recommend that you drop the idea of getting an aftermarket muffler and do the Nyroc Mod instead...then use the extra money that you save on the Dyna CDI. That means you end up with:

Nyroc Mod, Jet kit, DG Snorkel (or do Napa hose mod), Dyna CDI, P700 Belt & P700 Drive (primary) Spring (not the driven spring). Now you have a sweet machine for a very reasonable investment. (Next add a good set of tires and the Progressive front springs and you are in business!)

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2004 | 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with MikeyB on what mods to do, the HMF full system not being one of them. There have been posts to the effect that modifying the exhaust, on a Prairie, does not justify the expense and does not help the HP much if at all.

The two mods that gave me the most improvement was the CDI and the primary spring replacements. What module were you referring to? I've heard the DG3 was satisfactory, and I know the Dynatek CDI is satisfactory for HP gains.

Old 11-02-2004 | 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

Better tires, (Bighorns, ATRs; I personally like the ATRs on front & MudMachine Triclaws on Rear) DANA FS Ignition , Dalton Orange/Blue Primary Spring, dial in your jetting, adjust your belt to within specs and or get 700 belt. Also get you a Prairie Shop Manual & visit Kiss-O-Death and NYROCs websites for details. Best Bang for Bucks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Happy trails

P.S. Jetting will be trial and error

Old 11-02-2004 | 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Dg airhorn, 142f 145r, Ignition of choice, or a 6deg key, stock dia holeshots when your tires get wore out and you will be very happy with your bike no matter the cc or year, a loud pipe will just just get the neighbors and rabbit cops attention.... it is big bucks for just the sound the mods above will go 3/10s faster in 300ft over stock and that is very noticeable.....jh

Old 11-02-2004 | 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Tires, Elka or Progressive front springs, primary spring to suit your application, snorkel or other airbox mods, Nyroc modded muffler, Dyna CDI, primary clutch mod (in Kissofdeath's website), retard the cam timing, most important - get the jetting right.

Old 11-02-2004 | 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

I must be the only one that likes the sound of this V-twin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. I have done a Diamond G intake snorkel, K&N air filter, Dynatek CDI, and the HMF Penland series exhaust. I thought that the HMF exhaust did just as much as the combination of K&N and Diamond G snorkel did, so if you are one of those people that think that every little bit counts, the HMF exhaust is worth it. Or if you are like me, and you can't get enough of that throaty v-twin sound, the HMF exhaust is worth it.

The one mod that made the absolute most improvement in performance for my Prairie though, is the TIRES. And I'm not talking about the tires most of you are running either [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]. I'm talking about the tires I run on my Prairie 700 when I take it to the sand dunes. I remove my 26" ATRs that are mounted on C-Series wheels, and install my sand tires, which are a set of 25x12x9 nine-paddle Skat Trak Extreme paddle tires mounted on 9x9 ITP T-9 aluminum wheels for the rear, and a set of 25x8x12 Maxxis Front Pro tires mounted on the stock wheels for the front. By changing to the sand tires I get lots better traction, and I am able to shave <u>55 lbs</u> off of the weight of my Prairie 700, compared to my trail tires. The rear sand tires weigh 16 lbs less for each tire/wheel combo, and the front sand tires weigh 11.5 lbs less for each tire/wheel combo. Having 55 lbs less rotating mass to get going each time I hit the gas makes for an "oh my god" improvement in performance, and is EASILY more of an improvement than any other mod was. In fact, I think the lighter tires/wheels are more of an improvement by themselves than all of the other mods put together were. So tire/wheel weight is definitely something to keep in mind when doing mods.

OL

Old 11-04-2004 | 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I have to disagree about exhaust mod.
The HMF Penland full system does work. With dyna ignition and exhaust I can now hit 71 on flate stretch versus stock 63.
I am at 4500 feet. At 1500 foot and sea level 74 plus I would guess could be achieved. Poking holes in a exhaust will not always give you the best performance.
Just my opinion.

Old 11-05-2004 | 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Chad

Any mod you start with will improve your quad. There are a lot of good ideas on here, just choose what you can afford and do in in steps.