Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Stolen Prarie

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen Prarie

Pulled in to my driveway yesteday afternoon to see my garage door bashed in. I knew immediatly what happened. My 05' prarie 360 and the two hunting rifles that were on it were gone. I am posting on this ecellent forum, not thinking I will ever get it back, but to share this experience so some of you may learn from my dumb mistakes and taking things for granted.

The story starts one week ago (monday the 21st). I had got home from a hunting trip the night before. Decided to wait till later on Monday to unload and put in the garage (lazy). At 1:00p.m. a man knocks on the door. I answer and he asks me if so and so is home. I told him he had the wrong house. He leaves and I shut the door. Then it hits me that something was wrong with that little situation. I open the window to see him and his little spanish buddy pulling out of the drive way in a red ext cab chevy pickup (late 90's model). I had a chance to get the license plate but didn't??? Anyhow, didn't think anymore about it(took it for granted there would be no problem as there is no crime in the area we live) a week later I pull in to the drive to see that awful sight of the door crushed in and hanging. Notice big scrapes of red paint on it, and burn out tire tracks. They just slammed the back of the truck into the door!!!! It was a grab and go as they took nothing else. They even picked up and moved a tool box full of tools but left it.

Mistake #1 -- no insurance-- My homeowners is saying they will cover, but after reading some of the horror stories on this board today, if they do cover it looks like I will be very lucky (never even thought about insuring before,, dumb .. dumb.. dumb...

#2 -- leaving my atv loaded up in full view of anyone driving by to see
#3 --- not securing it in the garage
#4 --- not putting two and two together when these guys paid me a visit and then acting on it
#5 --- I don't know, sure there is plenty more things I could have, should have done to prevent this from happening. It's a shame it takes something like this to wake you up to the real world again....

Adam

Old 12-01-2005, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stolen Prarie

Primo....I have an idea of how po'd you must be. I felt my temperature rising just looking at the title of your post. Very sorry to hear you got picked out by the scum basterds.

My only suggestion is to advertise you're looking for a particular type rifle, schedule a meet at a 7-11 so they don't suspect a sting, get license # if they show up. They will probably get caught, causing commotions like that in low crime rate neighborhoods.

You're being very hard on yourself. We've all done #1, 2 and 3. On 4 and 5, you shouldn't have to be a detective to own an atv.

Again, sorry for your losses.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stolen Prarie

WOW that sucks, I agree I ahve done the same things and I live out in the countgry with no or little crime...

You should post your bike's info on hear and at local bike shops too...maybe somebody will recognize the vin numbers and help you out??? long shot at best, but at least its a shot taken...

Old 12-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stolen Prarie

Very sorry to hear about your loss and even more sorry to see that it happened in my home state. I hate scum bag quad thiefs!

Unfortunately, I've read stories like this one many times on various atv forums over the years and that's why I carry insurance on my quad (my $100/year premium is worth it for peace of mind).

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]