Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

92' Bayou 300 4x4 Friction Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' Bayou 300 4x4 Friction Clutch Question

Hi all, new here (patting self on back):::::[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]()()()()()()

I am a motox/harescrambles racer out in Colorado - used to working on bikes but not ATV's - ended up picking up a used 1992 Bayou 300 4x4 with a plow just to get outta my driveway in the mountains this year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]( Anyhoo, long story short - discovered the clutch was shot on it about 2 hours after using it and ended up replacing both the friction clutch as well as the autoclutch. However, what was weird was that after I put it all back together I could stick my finger in the clutch basket and move the friction/metal plates within the basket back and forth, which I thought was odd but I carefully had put it back together the way it had come apart, so didn't worry about it.

Runs much better obviously now, and I've used it quite a bit for plowing. However, I notice when I shut it off sometimes that I can hear that friction clutch spinning inside the case for awhile after the engine is off, and it also "slips" into gear sometimes where instead of sitting still in 1st gear it will want to move. I've adjusted the clutch several different times and tried different settings, found the one that works the best, but it doesn't eliminate the problem entirely.

So...I"m wondering if maybe I"m missing a clutch friction or metal disc or something....as I recall the friction kit I bought came with 5 frictions and then I bought 4 metals, which is what came out of it originally. Anybody know what stock is on these? Anybody know if it's normal to be able to move the friction/metal plates with your finger in within the basket (back and forth) on this machine?

Any advice much appreciated, thanks all!

MotoxMan

Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 92 but don't know about this.

This will keep it at the top though

Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the bump :l)

Yeah, weird thing is that for example today it ran just great while plowing, with not a hint of this problem. Almost wondering if I need different oil or something - I'm running 10W-50 Bely Ray synthetic right now, but who knows. My original thought is still valid that something may be missing from the friction clutch...

Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Range Rover

Go to www.buykawasaki.com Then to "owner info", then to "parts diagrams"...should find the fiche for your Bayou there. I checked it though and it looks like it should have 5 friction and 4 steel. Nice exploded view for you to see if you are missing anything else.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I put into it...but yet you could still move them back and forth freely in there. I'm not sure at this point. The things seems to run just fine for quite a while (few hours), but for example once in awhile I can just be sitting still in 1st gear, and all of a sudden you'll kind of hear a small "clunk" like a gear just dropped in and it wants to move - from then on the rest of the plowing I end up having to use the shifter as a "clutch" - - which in my opinion is kinda nice cuz then it's more like a "real" clutch and you can actually get some RPM's up before dropping it in ;o) - but I know that's not how it's supposed to be.

Anybody else had this problem or can think of what it would be? Maybe there is a just a "sweet spot" for the clutch adjustment and I just haven't found it yet. I've literally tried a thousand different positions though - - in all the way, back out until their is tension, back in 1/8 of a turn - back in no turns - back in 1/2 turn, etc. The "1/8th" turn back in seems to be the best.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

This is a brain teaser...I rebuilt the engine/clutch on my son's Bayou 220 last year so my memory of how things were inside isn't perfect, but after looking at the pics of the Bayou 300 clutch and the Bayou 220 clutch they are almost identical. I was going to pull the clutch out of my 220 this weekend, so I might have to get back with you later on some of this. Is it possible though that the clutch cam pieces didn't get put back exactly right when you put the side cover on? I know the one piece has to line up with a pin in the case. Also, can the oneway clutch in the primary clutch get put in backwards? I don't know if it would even work if you had it in backwards. Just a thought.

I grew up in western Nebraska about 90 miles northeast of Cheyenne. We were back home the week before Christmas during the first blizzard. Bet the Bayou is getting a workout this year pushing snow!

If I get my kids Bayou apart this weekend, I'll report on what I find.

Quick question for you...was your secondary clutch basket/gear loose where the two are riveted together? Mine was loose, but the Kawasaki service manual doesn't mention what it should be like. I asked on here and got several different responses. I went ahead and put it back together and it works fine, but it rattles as it is first engaging. I'll probably mess it up, but I'm going to drill out the rivets and take the basket off of the gear and see what's up. Hopefully I can re-rivet them back together and eliminate the slop.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

no, the basket/gear wasn't loose when I took it apart - that was all very tight, and there shouldn't be any "rattle" when it engages that I am aware of - definitely something amiss there [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I'm figuring I'll take the side cover off on the next oil change and take a lookie again - - it's such a pain to do mainly because I have no garage - so I have to wait for a nice non-windy non-snowy day, hehe. Let me know what you find out - I should have mine apart again within a few days and will report back as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the exzact atv and i to had to replace them i thought the the store had given me the wrong ones but they said to tighten them up and then adjust the clutch to your perfection and change how it idles and it should be fine but i would definately get a pro opinion

Old 02-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Range Rover

I didn't get mine apart like I wanted to this weekend. I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, instead of taking mine apart I ended up dropping the plow and terrorizing the neighborhood a bit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And I hear more snow is coming on Friday, so plow might have to come back on and work-horse again....