Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

water in rear gear box

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in rear gear box

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has trouble with water mixing with oil in the rear gearbox. I dont know where it comes from. It has been months since I have rode in water of any kind.....and I have changes the oil many times since....but after every ride I find water has mixed with the oil. I did swamp the bike in a river last summer, is it possible there is still water still in there? Like I said I have changed the oil many times...and that oil is not cheap!! Also I have problems with my rear brake on my kvf700, would water mixing with the oil cause some slippage?

Thanks for the help!
kvfrider

Old 04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Trailblazer

you may have filled the drive shaft case(front part of swingarm) with water when you swamped it. try taking the boot off(between engine and swingarm) and standing it on its nose.yes water in oil will affect the brakes.
Ckark

Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

I 100% agree with what frotrk said. The swingarm case is filled with water and it is slowly but surely filling the rear gear box with water. And the wet brake friction plates are being contaminated with water.

On some older KVF models, the swingarm case has round greying looking plugs to drain out water.

The swing arm pivot bearing often gets also damaged when water gets into the swingarm case because the bearing is not a sealed type. When the bearing fails and the bearing seat area of the swingarm breaks/damages, you will need a new swingarm assembly costing $350+ just for the swingarm alone and it's a PIA to replace it. Inspect the bearing, regrease or replace now if need to.

As I always say in this forum, swamping or submarining is the WORST thing that you can do to your quad. It may look fun doing it, but you are doing lots of long term damages and shortening every part of your quad real quick.

Keep your quad on the drier part of the land...