Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bayou 250 wont stay running, revs high then dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bayou 250 wont stay running, revs high then dies

I have a 2004 Bayou that wasnt running when i got it, it had a bad CDI unit and had been sitting for a couple years. I replaced the CDI with a used working one, and since it had been sitting with fuel in it the carburator was pretty gunked up.

At first i just cleaned it, and after that it would run and drive but only with the air filter and box removed. As soon as i would put the filter box on it would die, indicating to me that it was getting too much fuel and needed way too much air to run.

I cleaned it out again and replaced most of the parts with a rebuild kit, and now it will start (although it takes a long time) and when it does start you have to keep some throttle on or it dies.

After it runs like this for a bit (30-40 seconds or so) it suddenly begins to increase rpms, throttle seems to be working and it will rev up like normal for a few seconds and then it completely dies. After that it takes forever to re start and when it does the same thing happens again.

Im thinking there is a problem with the proper amount of fuel being regulated by the carb but im not sure and i dont know how to fix that if it is the problem.

Bear in mind that im no expert and although im nearly certain the carb was reassembled properly i may have done something wrong or something is not adjusted right. Any pointers or ideas to get me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Old 07-13-2012, 07:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

not real familiar with kawasakis, but you may look at adjusting valves for the lengthy start. heck, perform a compression test to see what it is right now. hopefully the quad's engine ain't worn out yet. as far as the carb, have you checked for vacuum leaks? spray carb cleaner around the carb/boot/intake area to see if it revs up. i can't remember if that carb is a slide or butterfly style, if a slide, is it reinstalled correctly? sometimes folks get it back in 180° off inside on the **** and grooves of the slide and she'll take off and rev high when started. check your throttle cable adjustments. just a few ideas to get you started in the right direction.