Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

KLF400 won’t start + slow/struggles to crank past compression stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 05:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KLF400 won’t start + slow/struggles to crank past compression stroke

Hi everyone, having some trouble trying to get my KLF400 to start.

replaced starter clutch bearing, gear and race. Replaced timing chain(old one jumped a tooth and stretched) New spark plug, cleaned carb new battery.

timing bang on, valve clearances to spec, flywheel key in good condition, getting a good spark getting fuel.

anything else I should try or am I missing something?

video on the cranking below

Old 05-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Timing?

If it has good spark, getting fuel and air, it should start if the timing and valve lash are correct.

Carefully connect jumper cables to Non-running car battery. That will provide enough power to see if it turns over easier and starts.

Old 05-28-2020, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for reply, I will try that!

Old 06-06-2020, 10:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got the quad started,

wow it’s VERY loud, sounds like it’s about to explode when revved, very loud knocking sound that gets worse as I rev...

Im starting to think the cod rod is screwed

Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

So replaced the crank (Big bearing on con rod was completely gone) discovered the oil pump had broken so replaced that, all back together and I managed to get it going! After a lot of trying. Sounded brilliant whilst it was idling and going through the gears.

Then I went to start it the next day and now it’s so slow to crank and drains the battery very fast and also the starter motor gets very hot whilst trying to start, so replaced the battery, solenoid, all the starter circuit leads. Still the same issue!!

I have a new starter motor on order so hopefully that will sort the slow crank out.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:03 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 342 Likes on 333 Posts

Sounds like starter motor spinning and not turning engine. Can't remember if those starters have the built in reduction gearbox, but if they have, it could be that gearbox gone, but my guess would be the one way clutch on the flywheel. I know it is new, but did you re-install it properly?

Old 08-12-2020, 01:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

ye all installed correctly, I’m convinced it’s the decompressor on the cam shaft. Please see video below and let me know what you think! I tried a brand new starter and I got the exact same issue.

Originally Posted by merryman
Sounds like starter motor spinning and not turning engine. Can't remember if those starters have the built in reduction gearbox, but if they have, it could be that gearbox gone, but my guess would be the one way clutch on the flywheel. I know it is new, but did you re-install it properly?

Old 08-13-2020, 02:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Afraid I don't know enough about the KLF decompressor to know if sideways play matters or not. Still convinced the starter motor is spinning a lot faster than it is turning engine, if so, it is loosing drive somewhere. Though noise from starters can be deceptive, Arrowhead replacement starters on Honda 420s make a similar amount of noise but work fine.

Old 08-13-2020, 03:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for getting back to me mate. Have a look at this video, it seems to be trying to turn but something is preventing it.

please see photos on my rocker arms, do you think they are excessively worn and could this affect the starting of the engine

Exhaust rocker

Intake rocker

Originally Posted by merryman
Afraid I don't know enough about the KLF decompressor to know if sideways play matters or not. Still convinced the starter motor is spinning a lot faster than it is turning engine, if so, it is loosing drive somewhere. Though noise from starters can be deceptive, Arrowhead replacement starters on Honda 420s make a similar amount of noise but work fine.

Old 08-14-2020, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider

As I wrote, your starter clutch or the gears to the clutch are slipping, not entirely sure that bolt should be wobbling about as the engine turns either, are you sure the main bearings are OK? Take the alternator case off again and try to work out what is wrong. Cam followers are shot, check the lobes on the cam too as they may be worn. Workshop manual will tell you what size the lobes should be.