Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 04:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad starter?

Kawasaki bayou 220. How to diagnose bad starter? Engine pull starts great. When trying to start it with the starter, it turns over really slow. I even tried with the spark plug out to see if it might be compression related. Still turns over slow. Battery is new. It did the same with the old battery. I have cleaned and checked all connections.

Old 04-02-2023, 10:47 PM
nny
Trailblazer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

have you tried jumping the solenoid to see if the starter spins faster? You could have corrosion in there. Also if you have a multimeter check resistance of the lines.

Good luck

Old 04-03-2023, 02:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 306 Likes on 300 Posts

Did your check of all connections include earths? These are as important as the positives when using the starter. Very occasionally I have had a genuinely "lazy" starter and it has always been an internal connection in the starter, something like a brush wire broken or earthing post with a loose nut. If it isn't an external bad connection, and you are sure the battery is fully charged (they are not always, when you buy them) take the starter apart. 300 starters have an epicyclic reduction gearbox inside them which can need cleaning and greasing too, not sure about the 220.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone share the tutorial video link?
Spoiler

Old 06-14-2023, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I usually start with the starter and work my way backward.

Using a known good jumper pack, or jumper cables from a car, clamp them directly on the stater. Positive to the battery cable post on the starter and the ground to either the starter housing or as close as you can get.

If the starter does not spin over faster, replace starter.

If the starter does spin over faster try moving the ground cable from the start housing to the negative battery post.

If the stater spins slower you have a bad ground cable/connection.

If the starter still spins faster then move the positive jumper cable to the starter side of the starter solenoid.

If the starter spins slower then replace cable between solenoid and starter.

If the starter still spins fast, Move positive jumper cable to the battery side of starter solenoid.

Push start button.
If starter spins slower replace starter solenoid.

If Starter still spins fast, all that is left is the positive cable between positive battery post and starter solenoid. Replace it.

Hope that helps.