Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

First and last trip to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the mistake of taking my 650 to my dealer the other day to get a few things checked. By the time I got it home it wouldn't even idle. I asked them to check the choke cable but I really don't think they did. I also got them to check a noise coming from around the ebc control on the belt cover. It sounds like something is loose inside but it only makes the noise while turning to the right or going up hills. The mechanic could hear the noise but had no idea what it was. They told me to keep driving it till it gets worse. As far as the idle problem goes I watched him try to correct this by turning the jet screws instead of the idle adjustment!! I checked the jet screws when I got home and the rear one was turned out over three turns. I traveled 1 1/2 hours to get there, waited six hours and got nothing done. If anyone has any idea what the noise could be please let me know. It sounds like a rattle as if something is loose and is ready to fly apart, and is coming from the right side around that ebc control. I know that dealer isn't getting another look at my bike.

Old 11-09-2001, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer

I did some digging around my bike and found a little gas around the outside of the rear carb. I can get the bike to idle for a while and then it just dies out. When I'm driving it seems fine. Any ideas? I called the dealer twice this week to find out what adjustments they did and both times they said they would call me back but never did. The service guy actually asked me what year my 650 was.

Old 11-10-2001, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

It's a carb problem, but I can't help this one, sounds so wierd it's goofy!

Thiers a guy "jeff fox" from michigan I believe.
Go to the mudrunner thread and see if he can help.
Better yet send him a private message or a e-mail!

I believe if I was that lost I would try to talk jeff into screwing his jets in and tell you how many turns out they are sappose to be.
You need a vaccum gauge other wise and it would help to have a service manual.
Maybe jeff can give you a quicker response!

Good luck.

Old 11-10-2001, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider

Mudseeker,
I'm sorry to hear about your dealer troubles. This seems to be consistent with most experiences myself and others have with dealers. So, I guess we'll just keep trying to learn about this quad as we go along. Until you said there was gas coming out I was thinking your carbs may have been out of sync and the pilot screws should be readjusted. Of course the choke cable could be a factor too. Any smoke coming from the exhaust, or any loss on top end?

Your problem is probably related to the gas leak. You can make sure the little screws on the bottom of the carb are tight, just be careful because you DON'T want to turn them hard at all (overtightening).

As far as pilot screws, this is easy. Mine are now at 2 1/2 out. This is adequate so far for the 50's and 40's. I assume it's cold where you are too. Just screw them in, NOT too tight, then back them both out. The spec is 2 1/4 turns out. I'd start there. The quad seems to really respond to slight changes in the pilot screw.

I bought a car sync from europe for $62 including shipping. It has no mercury in it and rated highest in accuracy and ease of use in a head to head tests against the rest. There's a thread with more details on this, search for it in the kawi forum.

I will look at my service manual to see if there are things to check for with regard to the ebc noise.

Gaff, thanks for the compliment. I am learning along with you guys though. My area of expertise is in forced induction fuel injected race cars, which is of little help when it comes to carbs and such.

Good luck