Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Clutch KIt

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 04:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raptorssuck: I bought the red and black clutch springs from EPI, they should arrive sometime this week. I am curius to find out from you if you experienced a noticeable difference in clutch engagement speed? I do a lot of creek bed riding, a significant higher clutch engagement speed would not be good for rock crawling. Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .............. MJSTX

Old 06-25-2002, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay guys there is also a clutch kit that high lifter sells it is 100 bucks and it probably comes with 3 springs and a hielex (cant spell) any way maby you should check it out im probably gonna buy i and see

Old 06-25-2002, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

I now have about 600 miles and if I am under heavy load or maybe rolling back a little on a hill and hit the gas, I get a little chirp out of the belt. From what I read, it looks like I need the black spring in back. How about the front spring...I know it changes the engagement rpm. Who is using a different front spring and what color? How does it affect trail riding? If I am riding with friends and punch it, will it give me more when I am already rolling?

Old 06-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

the front spring you might want to use the red spring cause all the rest are for even higher rev. when u are sitting still and u try to eaz around the yard u have to blip the throttle, but when moving it seems to accel. quicker. in low gear it pops a wheelie just barely hitting the throttle. in sugur sand and in dunes my dad said it works better with the front spring in.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2002, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

MUDKING650, if my memory serves me correctly the Prairie 650 cluth does not have a Helix like alot of the other makes and models do. The clutch kit that High Lifter sells is more than likely the EPI kit with the profit for High Lifter added in. Better to order it from EPI.

Wassssssup Raptorssuck, you ready for Crooms Saturday. You gonna make that Big Bear fly over them dunes? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2002, 12:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey MJSTX, this is RAPTORSUCKS dad again. I guess I need to register myself to get my own user name one day. Well the engagement speed for the red spring seems to be just slightly higher than the stock spring. Here in the flat lands of Florida it doesnt seem to be a problem. A good friend of mine also has a P650 with almost the same setup that I have(hmf slip-on which is awesome by the way,.6mm shim, twin-air filter, epi red/black clutch spring and Maxxis sur traks which are stock size) he has(hmf full system,.6 mm shim twin-air and stock tires). We raced several times on pavement & dirt road, from stand-still and rolling start @ 20mph and we were pretty much even most of the time yet, after about 45mph he started to pull away every time. Yet, I feel with the slightly heavier tires and the way we ride in the river bed(always racing & passing each other), that I would have the advantage of the higher engagement speeds. With the red spring in it just always seems that there is no lag @ all when hitting the throttle. If I were only running on pavement then I would not use the spring but, other than that I think I will keep the red spring on from now on. I haven't tried the orange spring yet, but I think it may just be too tight feeling for me.

Before I put the spring kit on my belt did squeal a little when I got in light mud and sand. It has not squealed since I installed new tires and clutch springs. I will be going to Crooms riding area in Brooksville, Fl., this weekend and it has a lot of dunes,trails,hills and old mining pits so I will see how it performs. I will post back in this thread Sunday under my own new name. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]