Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Low down on clutch springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 11:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been doing searches trying to figure out which springs are right for my prairie and cannot find good info. I guess that most of you guys are running the black spring but I also heard a red spring mentioned. I have 26" bearclaws and want more grunt out of it at takeoff, which spring should I buy? I don't do mud much (because we don't get much of it) but I do a lot of rock crawling and heavy load carrying. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Part #'s would also be helpful.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Range Rover

I got my black spring from Penland Racing and it works great. Their number is (706) 746-2812, and the address is 1043 York House rd. Rabun Gap, GA 30568. It was only $34 with shipping.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

Thumpin...I have both the EPI Black and Red Springs. I have not found anyone that does not like the black driven clutch spring...it is great. I also like what the red sprig does for me. It just lets the motor rev a little higher before putting power to the driven clutch. It does get you out of the hole harder but is not quite as smooth. Just hang on!!!

Old 09-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider

EPI sells them online http://www.erlandsonperformance.com/index.htm
They are extermely good to work with. Just go there and get the black spring. You can easily put the back spring on separately from the red one, in case you decide to get one now and the other one later.

The black drive spring makes the 650 upshift later, raising the rpms through the 5 to 50mph range. This does not change the lowest ratio, nor the high speed. It does help push bigger tires. You still get smooth takeoff. You remove the drive pulley and make a pulley compressor out of threaded rod and a 2" steel pipe cap with a wedge cut out for circlip plier access.

The red drive spring raises the engagement RPM and makes engagement harsher. Some like it, some don't. Probably better for mud, mud drags, dirt drags. I do not believe a rock crawler would like it. You can actually change it without removing the drive pulley.

Adjusting the belt tighter gives you the lowest starting gear ratio. The springs help by keeping the belt at the lowest gear ratio longer, giving us more yank.

Old 09-25-2002, 12:53 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah, the black spring is supposed to make the belt last longer.

An additional rumor floating around is that the black spring reduces the engine brake effectiveness at low speeds. It has a tendency to let go when going very slow. You press the gas a little, let go, and it regrabs. Not a big deal.

Old 09-25-2002, 08:06 AM
Pro Rider

I can attest to to the lack of engine braking at speeds under 5MPH. This is something that I'll get used to, I think. The braking progressively goes away in 2-4 sec., under 5MPH. This is annoying for me, as I ride tight/technical stuff with short, steep descents. I just "blip" the throttle and get the brake effect back.

Old 09-25-2002, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

I installed the red and black spring at the same time. Therefore I can not differentiate between the values of them individually. I can say that it now has a much higher engagement rpm. I found this good for pulling wheelies easier. I did some timed test runs with and without springs. The quad does feel faster with springs. However, my timed runs only showed the springs to take .1 - .15sec. in a 125 yards run.

I feel even with the red spring the power engagement is still very manageable. I have not noticed any difference in the engine braking. For the price of the red spring being under 20 bucks and the ease of installing it. I would recommend anyone to try it and see if it fits their riding style.

Old 09-25-2002, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider

I couldnt agree more kawlaris. Have you checked the top speed with and without the springs in? If so what did you find out? I to, have not noticed any changes in engine braking.

thumpin650 I would recommend both springs "just as EPI did to me". Like kawlaris said its only $19.95 and if you order them together shipping might be the same. Was for me. Also after getting the cover off, if you have an impact wrench for the nut and a ratchet/socket for the eight 10mm bolts you can have the spring changed in 5 min.

For the ones who have only heard rumors and have not tried the red spring I think you owe it to yourself to atleast try it.

I can say a rock crawler might not like the way it engages. The engagement is only harsh if you creep up on the gas. If you just give it gas and let it go its much smoother. It does take some getting used to but after you do you wont be taking it out. But, thats my opinion, I know our red spring isnt coming out, "unless the wife threatens my life" LOL.