Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

STOP!!!! Don't buy tires.........yet

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 12:40 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOP!!!! Don't buy tires.........yet

ITP has a new mud tire coming out called the mudlite. It looks awesome. and it's made in the USA!!! check it out at www.itptires.com

Old 10-28-2002, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmmmmm......

That tire looks awefully familiar, I just can't put my finger on where I've seen a tread pattern and sizing like that before....

Old 10-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

they sure resemble the Dirt Devils. But only better.

Old 10-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Range Rover

and lighter. I'm not sure that everyone understands the importance of turning weight. Turning weight is the weight of anything that rotates on the quad. It is the most important kind of weight on the quad. The lighter you can keep the things that turn (mainly tires & wheels) the better performance you will get out of your quad. Buy the lightest ( and usually the most expensive parts) parts you can buy.

Old 10-29-2002, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

YoeSeaOH, for the most part you're correct in the fact that added weight is bad, but their are a few advantages. The first I have eluded to in previous posts, being heavier tires and/or wheels lower the C/G due to the fact that the added weight is at the lowest point possible. The second is although heavier tires are used it is unsprung weight, therefore helps to stabilize handling. The third which applies to mudders, is because of centrifugal force. The heavier tires in serious mud, once spun up to speed, want to maintain that rpm so the engine works less hard.

Don't get me wrong, light is right, but if you're going to add weight for some reason, heavier tires isn't the worst way to do it. I'd rather add 80# of tires than 80# of other items in a carry box or bag.

Old 10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider

3TV, it's just physics, centrifigul force and all that. As an example; back in the old drag racin days when engines didn't have the H.P. we're used to today, we used extra heavy flywheels to help maintain rpm. Once you got her wound up, she wanted to stay that way.

I've a set of Swamp Pros that must be the heaviest tire on the market. If not they don't miss it much. I also have Vampires and ITP589s, the latter of which is the lightest. If you bury the bike with each of these, the heavier tires tend to hold their momentum and the lighter tend to rely more on H.P.

Either way, the weight differences in tires are of minimal effect. I think people worry too much about it. I was just trying to point out there's good and bad to both sides. If a little extra weight was going to kill us, I'd have died a long time ago.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2002, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

not to say that anyone is wrong here, but I think the term that you're looking for is rotating mass. As far as heavier tires wanting to keep the rotation going is not entirely correct IMHO. For the most part, mud tires that are much heavier, are that way due to their construction, including the bigger and deeper lugs. These alone will over-rule the rotational momentum due to the frictional resistance. If you took the same tire, but only lighter, in mud you would have a better chance of keeping your momentum up because you will have less rotating mass to maintain. More tire speed will also allow you to keep your lugs cleaned out. That mud weighs a lot too. Heavier flywheels don't even compare to the amount of weight added by aftermarket tires. They will sap the hp from your machine by not allowing it to rev as fast, but they (flywheels) will help in keeping the motor turning without having the effects lost or magnified from tire weight through the drive-train.

Old 10-30-2002, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

they are like a mixture of spider tracs 489s and 589s