Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Think I am going with the Prairie 650

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I am going with the Prairie 650

Well guys I went to the local Kawasaki dealer today and was looking at the 650's when a guy came out and asked me if I wanted to test drive it. Of course I test drove it this is the baddest four wheeler I have ever ridden it is so quick I also rode the kodiak 450 didn't compare in comfort I have to have a 650 it said they go for about $6500 is that about right for a 03.

Old 12-01-2002, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have about 75 hrs on my P650. I have to agree that it has all the power you could ask far. However, as I have been reading these post I noticed people talking about being able to pull wheelies? I am assuming this is without half shifting? I can get up to about 62 MPH, but I have never come close to pulling the front tires off the ground. I live in arizona and ride mostly above 5000 feet. So I'm wondering in it is a carb setting? It would make sense that the deeler would have made the correct settings, but I can't say I know for sure. So my question is. Can everyone do a wheelie? If so is it at higher altitiude and did you make any adjustments to the carborator? Is this stock? I have not made any mods to mine, but I'm thinking of adding the High Performance Kit / Clutch Kit from High Lifter.

Old 12-01-2002, 08:58 AM
Pro Rider

Unless the dealer rejetted it on delivery, it would have the stock jets. That would make it a little rich for 5000 feet.

The wheelies, and the ease with which they are done, can depend a lot on the weight of the driver and the driving style. Low range wheelies are no problem. To do a high range wheelie I need a lot of traction, a rolling start, weight back and pull up on the bars. I weigh 175 lbs. and have a winch on the front of the machine. The weight of a winch will really hold you down. My neighbor weighs 310 lbs.; all he has to do on my 650 is slide back on the seat a bit and the front end comes flying up. The same happens if you have a passenger; the front end comes up very easily. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-01-2002, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

I agree w/ Scott. I usually ride in low range so all I need to do is slide back on seat, and gun it! Traction has alot to do with it. Harder to wheelie on grass than on hard packed dirt.

Start small and use a small bump or rise to help get the front end up. Be carefull, these machines are heavy and don't feel good on top of you!

Old 12-01-2002, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

I have a stock p650 (except for K&N filter). If I sit in my normal riding position, it will not wheelie for me, but if I sit back a foot or so, it will lift up easily. My top speed at 6000 ft is only 50 mph. This relates to the recent Dirt Wheels article that says that a radar gun showed 50 being the fastest their test machine could go. I don't know how you guys are getting in the 60mph range (stock).

My question is this. Does everyone have a little lag right when you start hitting the throttle? My machine starts to move, but it takes about 2 or 3 seconds for the power to really come on (this is when it will begin to wheelie).

p.s.

I am posting this message as a new topic also, so that I will get more responses.

Old 12-02-2002, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Ours is completely stock, goes 65mph (we do live in Iowa--no high altitude here!) and pulls crazy wheelies in high or low--when we're trying. My husband starts from a stop, is not completely seated, and all at the same time: throws his weight to the back of the seat, pulls up on the handlebars, and guns it. When I do this my wheelies are much smaller--he's got 60 pounds on me and is stronger. Tip: if you get as wheelie crazy as he did, you will break the plastic rack cover and tear the back plastic mud guards off. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just FYI, he didn't care, just wanted to go big, I guess.