Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

belt STILL squeeling on takeoff!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt STILL squeeling on takeoff!!!!!!!!!!

Rammy, sure sounds like the dealer didn't know HOW to adjust that belt! Sure way to find out if they adjust belts is to go back, go to the parts counter and ask to buy the driven pulley adjustment shims. If they don't stock 'em , how can they adjust them?
VT Prairie-- YOUR belt was adjusted a little tight.
BTW--- My favorite dealer doesn't adjust these belts! I was told, " none of the ones we sold are a problem"! I ended up special ordering ALL (4) shims, and doin' it myself!

Old 03-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Range Rover

thanks trx450
went to nyroc's site(alot of good info) said in there the same thing, just don't want to damage anything.also when I rode yesterday 2 guys had 660 grizz and they both could not believe the power of my bike escp out of the hole

Old 03-11-2003, 03:25 AM
Range Rover

to adjust your belt does the secondary spring have to come out or at least loose? thats one reason why i dont want to try to tighten my own belt because of that spring. i had the dealer install mine so i dont know much about it.

Old 03-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Range Rover

oh yeah, when i went riding saturday another thing i noticed was ever since i picked it up from the dealership when you stop and leave it in gear all of a sudden every once in a while it will start to chug like someone came up behind you and bumped the back of it.another thing is after getting up some speed, your feet about fall asleep from the vibration from having your feet on the floorboards. is it just me or is something NOT right?????

Old 03-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

Rammy--- Sounds like they replaced the driven clutch spring(black spring) ONLY, the belt is STILL loose. It NEVER WAS adjusted, IMO.
As for your feet going to sleep from vibrating floorboards, not sure wassup there. Maybe a plug fouling or shorting out from time-to-time. I would take it in to a competent dealer. These bikes are extremely smooth runners, something definately ain't right! It is still under warranty, right? Good luck/Be safe.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

The vibration in the floorboards is due to the loose belt. I can tell when its time for a belt adjustment as it will start to vibrate slightly. The reason it will move one you sometimes when idling in gear is because they put in the black spring. It tends to hold the belt higher in the sec. clutch causing the belt to be slightly tighter. If you turn the idle down slightly this wont happen any more. You shouldnt leave an auto idle in gear for extended periods of time anyway. The belt adjustment is a peice of cake. If you follow nyrocs site any one can do it. The only thing you must have is an impact wrench to get the pulley off and a spring compressor. I have it down so good now i can adjust my deflection in a half hour or less. Its a peice of cake.