Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

Got Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Problems

prospector..

<< isnt the air intake horn under the rad cover up betweeb the handle bars? >> yes..

<< Just how hard is it to adjust the valves on the 650?Worked on cars a fare amount but never on cycles. >>

a PIA if you follow the instructions in the service manual, not bad if you only follow the IMPORTANT ones...

let me elaborate.. in the service manual it says
remove air cleaner cover
front fender
front inner cover
valve adjusting caps
recoil starter
timing inspection plug

you can take a MAJOR shortcut here by NOT removing the front fender, bumper, racks, and only removing the center section of the plastic, and inner covers in the wheelwells.. also you can take a shortcut by not removing the recoil starter as well....

next it says to turn the crankshaft counterclockwise with a wrench on the alternator bolt untill the "t-f mark on the alternator rotor aligns with the notch in the inspection plug..this will get the front cylinder on TDC..

SHORTCUT..leave the recoil starter on, and pull on it SLOWLY to get the timing marks lined up...

valve clearance should be Exhaust .008-.010 Intake .004-.006

you'll need some narrow feeler gauges, and plan on bending them about 90 degrees to do this, there is a boss that kind of gets in the way, but you can work around it.. it is actually easier to back off the adjusters, and set the feeler guages, then tighten them to specs, that way you can be sure that the feeler guages are in the right place.. that was the only tricky part to it...

the rear cylinder is the same way, but line the timing mark up on the "R" on the flywheel..

if you want to take all the fenders off, go ahead..but the first time I did it, I did it by the BOOK, then got them too loose..than I did the shortcut, & it worked out fine..

I enjoy it every time I go to Dothan, folks are real friendly there..( I ride with the Southern Cruisers sometimes..)

sorry the post is a bit long..but hopefully it is helpful..

Old 03-31-2003, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got Problems

What is this snorkel i keep seeing ? seems like everyone has it as an add on. Been to Crawfordville many times.

Old 03-31-2003, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got Problems

The snorkle is the black tube approximately 2"-2 1/2" that hooks into the airbox. If you remove the cover that exposes the radiator cap you should be able to see the snorkle. The Diamond G snorkle is approximately 30% larger which gives the engine more air. The price is around $50. It seems a little expensive for what you get, but it does seem to help.

Old 03-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Problems

prospector,
the snorkle is a aluminum snorkle that is the same diameter all the way up, flared a little on the end, and flows more air than the restrictive stock one that starts out large than goes smaller as it gets to the top, some folks have put a shop vac hose on, some have used a radiator hose, but the idea is to get as much air (cooler) in the airbox, it helps, you can also put 1" holes in the cover up by the radiator fill, some have, others have not..some have modified the airbox lids as well.. the more air in, the more fuel you can mix with it..

not a bad mod for the $$..

yep, we're up to our 2nd traffic light now in town...LOL...

Old 03-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Got Problems

yep that is the black pipe i was asking about thought it looked like the air intake bet that is where the water got in to the oil at the small cover is missing o mine and it took a shot of water from the hose up there a few days ago......thanks for all the help fellers i might be able to breath a little easier now .was worried about a head gasket but it runs fine no skip the oil is a little off color but not alot of water.change anyway.thanks again
ps: you can have some of the red lights from up here i will deliver LoL

Old 03-31-2003, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Got Problems

prospector,

nah, leave the lights on the circle, (at least the red ones) I'll pick them up the next time through...LOL..