Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

kids atv wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kids atv wont turn over

i have a jap quad i bought 2 years ago, it was ridden 2 weeks ago with no problems, my son charged the battery this morning and when he went to start it this afternoon it would not turn over, this has a safety where you have to have the brake on to start it, when you put the brake on, the rear brake light comes on and you can then push the start button. that usually starts it but today when you push the start button the only thing that happens is that rear brake light goes off then comes back on when you let off the start button. i dont know anything about these things and would hate to take it to a shop and pay hundreds of dollars to fix something im sure is simple, any help you can provide will be great, thanks

Old 06-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the battery is flat dead. Do you have a meter? Set it to measure DC volts on the 20 volt scale. Measure the voltage right on the battery terminals while pushing the start button (and with the brake light winking out). What voltage do you measure?

Do you have some jumper cables? Try jumping your quad battery to your car. Please get the polarity right: Positive to positive, and negative to negative. After jumping the two batteries, does your starter turn? Does the quad start?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Simply said, thats called a dead battery. No, shop, no spending lots of cash! Just a bum battery.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:21 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
Simply said, thats called a dead battery. No, shop, no spending lots of cash! Just a bum battery.
420pimp is very likely right, but before spending good money on a new battery be sure and measure first. It could be just a bad connection.

Meters are cheap (less than $20.00 for a really good one) and you will use that meter over and over.

Even if the battery is flat dead, there are perhaps charging issues to deal with. Once again, a meter is paramount. Don't rush to conclusions. Measure... .

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
420pimp is very likely right, but before spending good money on a new battery be sure and measure first. It could be just a bad connection.

Meters are cheap (less than $20.00 for a really good one) and you will use that meter over and over.

Even if the battery is flat dead, there are perhaps charging issues to deal with. Once again, a meter is paramount. Don't rush to conclusions. Measure... .

Lynnedwards is very likely right, but by the time you go out and by a meter to test it just to find out it's the battery in the first place. You could of just bought a new battery hooked it up. If that wasn't the problem just took it back and got your money reimbursed. Saving gas money also.

I love wal-marts returns policy's! ; )

Old 06-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
Lynnedwards is very likely right, but by the time you go out and by a meter to test it just to find out it's the battery in the first place. You could of just bought a new battery hooked it up. If that wasn't the problem just took it back and got your money reimbursed. Saving gas money also.

I love wal-marts returns policy's! ; )
Great. But then why did the battery go dead? How are you going to tell if the charging system is working? A new battery installed into a quad with a defective charging system will also go dead over time. And the battery will quickly be ruined.

You need a meter to measure the charging system once the new battery is in place. Meters are a valuable tool that can be used for many things, and will be used over and over.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i came across this very problem 2 weeks ago on a quad i was resurrrecting for a buddy of mine. here's the details: battery was 6 months old according to my friend. battery tested dead(ohm meter/volt meter-my quad troubleshooting best friend). recharged battery, saw the volts leaving battery almost as quickly as the charge took(seen with volt meter). discovered dry cells.......yep, that'll do it. THEN, listened real close because of missing brake light and wiring assemblies interlocks. now for the brake light switch on the left hand handlebar, i listened for the "tink". for the switch to make and it didn't. well, a little solder and wire repair, got it to "tink" and make the switch. new battery, and BAM, that little quad fired right up. so yes, get a meter, it'll help you and in a long run, it'll save you money, time, and heartache.......

Old 10-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Kfx50 is dead!

Hello guys, this is my first post so please forgive me if I leave some stuff out.

Here's my problem - I installed a couple of nice headlights (truck foglights) and it started the first time and everything worked. The next time I tried, something seemed to pop in the back and now I have nothing. I replaced the fuse next to the cdi unit( I think) because it was blown. Are there any other fuses I might have blown? Or did I jack up the cdi? How do I know that? I can't seem to find any other fuses on the bike.

Please help

Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Shinerguy
Hello guys, this is my first post so please forgive me if I leave some stuff out.

Here's my problem - I installed a couple of nice headlights (truck foglights) and it started the first time and everything worked. The next time I tried, something seemed to pop in the back and now I have nothing. I replaced the fuse next to the cdi unit( I think) because it was blown. Are there any other fuses I might have blown? Or did I jack up the cdi? How do I know that? I can't seem to find any other fuses on the bike.

Please help
Airmobile101 posted a lot of info on this quad in the "sticky list" at the top of this "kid's quad - ask and expert" section.

Does your quad still blow fuses when you put a new one in? Are you using something like a 7 amp value? Was this fuse close to the battery positive terminal? The main fuse (if there is more than one) is always located within inches of the positive battery terminal, or sometimes close to (or built into) the starter solenoid. Note: I don't know specific info on your quad - I'm talking just generic quad design practices...

When you say you get nothing now, does this mean you don't have headlights? What about brake lights? What about the newly added fog lights?

If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver shank does the starter motor turn? Do you need more info on how to do this?

I doubt you damaged your CDI. I bet you've just got a 12 volt delivery problem somewhere. Answers to the above questions will get us started. You'll need a voltmeter ...

Old 10-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I managed to get it running by kickstarting it. I still get absolutely nothing when I hit the electric start. Also when I did get it running, it would die when I engaged the safety brake ( it has the button on the back that engages when you pull the left hand brake, which you have to pull to start it)

Also as I try to start it using the electric start, when I have the key on it blows the fuse ( which is in the very rear of the atv under the seat) everytime I pull the lever which engages the safety button. I know this seems confusing but I am confused as well.

Quick Reply: kids atv wont turn over