Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

BAJA 90cc wont run right

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

which spark plug you using? upgrade to the
NGK. the parts store should be able to
cross reference with your old one.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With these symptoms it is almost always fuel issues. But I've also seen bad CDI's that run just fine at idle, but the engine bogs as you try to accelerate. This would be most likely on an AC powered CDI because when you accelerate the stator AC power voltage raises too, and one failure mode is a CDI that self triggers at the wrong time with a higher power voltage. I have one of these CDIs in my bad parts box.

Again this is very rare, and not the likely cause of your problems. But CDIs are cheap, and if you run out of alternatives then perhaps it is worth a try.

One of the things I want to do (when I find some time - which isn't much these days) is to plug in this bad CDI and then look to see if there is any distinctive "bad" signature when using an ignition timing light shining down on the flywheel timing marks...

I've not run this bad CDI long enough to see if it fouls the plug.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the CDI the little black box that attached to the frame behind the carb up under the tank with a large rubber band basically? If so I have one of those new in a box that BAJA sent me a few years back when I was having a different issue with it. Thats the first thing I tried with no results.
I think when I get time I'm going to just mess around with the float adjustment. I dont have any calipers so i will just rely on trial and error and see if I can change anything.
Thanks for all the help and keep the suggestions coming. I will post back and let ya'll know what I find.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by gpeade
Is the CDI the little black box that attached to the frame behind the carb up under the tank with a large rubber band basically? If so I have one of those new in a box that BAJA sent me a few years back when I was having a different issue with it. Thats the first thing I tried with no results.
I think when I get time I'm going to just mess around with the float adjustment. I dont have any calipers so i will just rely on trial and error and see if I can change anything.
Thanks for all the help and keep the suggestions coming. I will post back and let ya'll know what I find.
Yep, that's the CDI. I really hesitated even posting that since it is so rare that I worried that everyone with dirty carburetors would jump to a wrong conclusion right off the bat and waste money buying CDIs. Fuel issues predominate for these symptoms and you should concentrate there.

But one of the trends I've noticed recently is that the more common problems that were so prevalent in earlier posts are being solved behind the scenes through internet search engines. The less common and difficult problems are the ones that are starting to bubble to the surface. Hence you have to consider the bizarre possibilities sometimes...

Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know sometimes we do things that we are embarrased about and other times we do things that are so dumb ya have to share them.

Dug into this thing again yesterday(been busy on other things lately). Recleaned the carb and reinstalled. Fired it up and it seemed to run fine. Would rev. up like its supposed to. So now Im all fat dumb and happy cause I have fixed it. Figured I'd take it for a spin around the yard to make sure. Put the air filter cone back on it and its right back to doing the same thing. The air filter was clogged this whole time. That was the only problem. Gave the filter a good bath and let it dry overnite and today it runs just as good as it ever did.

Im going to put on my dunce hat and sit in the corner for the rest of the day now.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Spank you very much for the update...