Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

she wont wear a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default she wont wear a helmet

i got my 2 year old daughter an LT50 for christmas, shes obsessed with quading but i cant get her to wear a helmet so as yet she hasnt ridden her quad,

we took her to the shop to get her fitted out for one and she refused to try it on, ive tried to get her to wear my sons old helmet and she wont,

ive even tried getting her used to having a helmet on her head by using mine, i thought she might put it on with it being so large, but no joy,

a few people have sugested to get one of thoes push bike type helmets that just covers skull around the hair line, nut sure if i like that idea but i want to get her out on the wheeler,

what do you think,

is any protection better than no protection or should i hold out till she wear the proper thing??

Old 02-14-2004, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

Put the quad up man untill she is ready to play it safe ... definatly don't let her ride it without the proper head gear...

My little girl just turned 3 and i am getting ready to buy her a quad here shortly too so she is going to learn to wear a helmet or she won't get to ride .. Better Safe than Sorry !

Old 02-14-2004, 03:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stick to your guns no helmet no ride if she wants to bad enough she'll put one on . be safe !!!!!!!!

Old 02-14-2004, 03:42 AM
Pro Rider

yeah i think ill stick it out ive stuck it out for a couple of months,

its still sat in my storage unit tags still on and seat in plastic might help if i take her down there so she still knows its there,

she mentions going quading now and a gain and i ask if shes gona wear a helmet and she says yes, so i tell her to get her brothers and then she changes her mind,

just hard work getting her to understand things at her age,

it was rely funny at christmas the guy at the shop was hilarious and was trying to jolly her along and get her to try a helmet on and she was having none of it,

she does seem to have quite a hangup about it,

Old 02-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: UKzilla
yeah i think ill stick it out ive stuck it out for a couple of months,

its still sat in my storage unit tags still on and seat in plastic might help if i take her down there so she still knows its there,

she mentions going quading now and a gain and i ask if shes gona wear a helmet and she says yes, so i tell her to get her brothers and then she changes her mind,

just hard work getting her to understand things at her age,

it was rely funny at christmas the guy at the shop was hilarious and was trying to jolly her along and get her to try a helmet on and she was having none of it,

she does seem to have quite a hangup about it,
If you value her safety stay true to her and yourself!!! Don't let her ride unless she wears it!!! If she convinces you that she isnt going to ever wear it!! Put the quad up for sale!!!

Old 02-14-2004, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider

IMHO, I think 2 is a little young for a gas powered quad, I probably would go with one of the battery ones. But, if you want her to learn the LT50, no helmet, no ride, no exceptions!

Old 02-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

im gona restrict it to walking pace and walk behind her with the cord so i think things will be ok, it will probably only be going as fast as a battery operated one for some time,

Old 02-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your kid is very "head strong". She'll make a great lawyer, contract negociator or perform other great "debatable type" professional careers in the future. Sure hope you can focus her attitude into a more positive direction....

When it comes to head safety, No helmet - NO driving. Period!!!!

I have a mentally disabled child in my family. If wondering, he was born this way. If you had to walk in my shoes "even for a day", you'll understand why everyone is saying "NO helmet - no ride". Preventing head damage on another, especially a child, is well worth holding your ground.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer

a buddy of mine has a little boy who has been riding for ayear and just turned 3 a month ago. He used to turn the bars and put a bunjy cord from the bars to the grab bar and let it go in circles at idle while he held the kill tether. If it got to fast for safety he would stop it and go again. Finall his got to the point he was trying to straighten the bars to go forward, now he rides very well for a 3 year old. He stuck to his guns on the helmet issue coz his son didnt like it either now its no big thing, grab helmet go ride.

Old 02-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

A couple of thing come to mind to try. First try to get everyone in the family(you, son wife) to put their helmets on and go about their daily business things like you wear your helmet say while you mow the yard or work on the car, let your wife wear it while she cleans the house and your son while he watches tv or plays video games. Another thing i would try is let your son get on HER bike, if their one thing i remember when my boys were small they sure did not like to SHARE. Hope everything works out just stick to you guns and please do not let her get on it without a helmet, it you do she will never put it on.

Quick Reply: she wont wear a helmet