Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Gettin wild with some LT80 mods.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gettin wild with some LT80 mods.

I wanted to check and see if anyone has experimented with completely different clutches on an LT/KFX80? The Malossi series of engines (eton, dinli, xtreme etc) and the growing aftermarket for them now has a bunch of cool things going with their clutches. Has anyone looked at modifying those clutches to work with the LT?? I have a buddy who has modded a Dinli and has all the original clutch parts and I keep meaning to get a hold of them and do some hillbilly machining on them, but I haven't yet. The angle of the belt face in the variator is a ton steeper and the roller tracks have a better design. The rear clutch has variable stall adjustments and a roller bearing "cup" that the spring rides in to keep it from binding. Cool stuff. In my mind, this is the missing link to my LT80 DOMINATION (insert sinister laugh) lol ---Really though, I'm looking for something to help the LT get up to speed quicker and keep up with the newer generation of quads on the TT track. We're running about the same as them top end but they get there quicker. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Bill

Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I too, would very interested in knowing if there is any other way to get the LT clutch to work the same as the other minis. We have an LT80 built by Jack and compared to all of the other LT's the thing just flat hauls. But compared to some of the other minis at the track the clutch just doesn't have the same rpm hit out of the gate as they do. We are always right with them in the first turn and junior has to work his tail off to get around them, but I think if the clutch would get us the same snap out of the gate that they have, we would be gone and not have to look back! We are not too far off on topend now. I can gear the thing up a little more to stay with them on top, but if I do then I fear that we will suffer even more on the bottom. I just feel that it really is not a gearing problem as much as clutch. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated if anyone else has mastered this problem. Thought about buying another brand bike, but I have a small fortune in the LT and my boy really wants to stick with this bike.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

Your right, its not a gearing issue, its a clutch issue. My problem is exactly the same as yours. The Malossi clutches just have more "movement" (for lack of a better term) That allows them to stay lower geared for holeshots but still top out the same.

Jack - whats your thoughts on this.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

OK, I indeed want to try a aftermarket variator in a LT80. This may happen soon.
There is more of a pipe problem with the LT than a clutch problem IMO for bottom end.
The Kasea guys tell me that they wish they had clutchs to work with like a LT80,so go figure. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Jack, I bought a bunch of new rollers to throw in my box for clutch servicing. Can you tell me if the three that were in Chris's bike when we got the motor back from you were drilled out at all or were they all three just stock rollers. I want to play around with a few different weights, but am not sure where to start. Can you tell me what size to drill them out to start. Thank, Russ.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Those are stock.
I think 5/16 is the start out drill size.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Need some quick help. Gotta get this done tonight...........

I'm going to remove a couple rollers from the clutch.
I'm assuming I need to remove the whole cover on the left side of the motor, where the belt is, to get to the front clutch pulley. This has both bolts, and allen wrench bolts??????
If I pull that whole cover off, do I need to replace the gasket when I reassemble?

Thanks a Bunch

Old 02-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

The gasket just seals out water from getting to the belt. If your going to be riding in wet conditions then you need to make sure that the gasket is still intact and it can be used again or you can use some kind of silicon sealant.