Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

TaoTao 110cc won't crank or spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 03:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TaoTao 110cc won't crank or spark

Hello all, several months ago I picked up a taotao 110cc atv for my son. I have been trying on and off the last few months to get it running to no avail.

I bought a new carb, all new electronics(key, starter solenoid, starter, cdi, ignition coil, stator, etc.) Along with a new wiring harness. I got it all installed and wired up, and when you turn the key to on and press the start button it won't turn at all. It will turn over just fine if you jump the solenoid posts. But when you do this is doesn't have any spark as well. I'm more concerned about the fact that the start button doesn't do anything at the moment, one problem at a time right?

I've checked and made sure i have voltage in and out of the harness where the ignition switch connects. I've rechecked all connections, done my best to trace where all the wires go, tried follow a couple videos and other forum posts and can't seem to figure out what's going on.

It's an older model that I don't believe was ever equipped with a remote start/kill switch. The handlebar switch clicks when you cycle it on and off, but I don't think that will keep it from turning over will it?

Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm about to beat my head into a wall over this. Thank you all.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just realized this has a speaker on it, so I guess that means at one time it did have a remote switch on it?

Old 07-11-2023, 02:23 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

I always write that if you know enough about electrics to fit a "universal harness" you would have been able to fix the original fault, so no need to fit it. However, you are where you are. The electric start circuit should be fairly simple on universal harnesses, I put a bare bones diagram up on here https://atvconnection.com/forums/1-e...-2007-atv.html last week and, if your harness follows it, check the thin wires at the solenoid with a meter or test lamp, one should be earthed, the other live with ign on and start button pressed, if it isn't, trace the red/yellow to start button and check both sides of that. Then, if power isn't getting to there, back to ignition switch, note diagram shows a "safety switch" in between, this would be the brake lock out, which you haven't fitted. The connector would need jumping if your new harness was made for a lock out switch to be fitted.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got a new harness because the other one was shredded and chewed up from being outside so long.

This is the one I ordered.

https://a.co/d/8Gw5lFl

I'll try the where tracing this afternoon, thank you for for advice!

Old 07-16-2023, 02:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Even has its own wiring diagram, that is not my preferred type of diagram and I note a "flameout" switch at the rear light, which seems odd, but with a set up as comprehensive as that, you should be able to find where you have gone wrong.