Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Quadsport or TRX90

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Quadsport or TRX90

My 8 yr old daughter wants a quad. I am not sure of what would be the best choice of all the available options. The quad would mostly be used for trail riding. In a way I hate to get her a mini at all. She can shift, she has a CRF50 and rides my LTZ250 in 1st and 2nd gear with the throttle screw limiting the power available. I am considering a Bayou 250 so as I don't have to upgrade again. I would consider the Bruin 125, but the Bayou is cheaper. I am familiar with all the mini quads out there, the Taiwanese and the Big 4. I prefer 4 stoke and e-start but have read great things about the Suzuki LT80 and other than the recoil starter on the Honda TRX90, it has several desirable features. I am not real keen on the CVT trans on the LT80 and Taiwan bikes. The Yamaha Raptor 80 may also be the way to go. She and I have ridden a Kasea 90 and neither of us were impressed (had to give 1/2 throttle to get it to move and rode very rough). Have any of you had to make this decision? What did you get?

Old 06-29-2005, 08:31 AM
Trailblazer

I guess I confused you all as much as I confused myself. lol

Old 06-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

It's always a problem deciding what to buy for a kid. It's very hard to spend your cash on something they might outgrow in 2 yrs, but it's still usually the best way to go. You need to get her a quad that physically fits her size. Remember, there will be times riding it that her physical size will determine whether she can control it or not. Just because a rider can start a particular quad & putt it around, doesn't mean they should be on it.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have owned both these machines, so I speak from first hand experience!

First off, being a CVT transmission means that the LT has NO ENGINE BRAKING. Now that's ok if all the kid is going to do is putt around on level ground, but when you head out to the hills on a trail ride, the safety factor of having engine braking makes a huge difference. With the TRX, all they have to do on a nasty hill is put it in a low gear and let it idle down the hill.........in complete control. On the LT it is all brakes, and foot bakes in particular are difficult for a kid to modulate (they tend to lock the rear up and skid sideways). Plus, the air filter on the LT is a b**** to get at for cleaning. And,when that battery goes dead on a trail ride 20 miles from home, you are out of luck because there is no other way to start that thing.

The TRX is a dead solid reliable machine. I just sold one because my boys are moving up to the 250's, but I'm still keeping the other one for the 8 year old girl. My kids ride along with me EVERYWHERE I go, including places that "require" a 4wd. When things get nasty, we just pick their bikes up and carry them through the rough stuff. The pull starter can be a pain, but then having no battery or starter keeps the bike light and more reliable. And, she can already shift, so that shouldn't be a problem. The TRX is large, so she won't outgrow it as soon as the LT.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

For what your doing, either will do fine. In stock form, both are bulletproof. But remember,,, Honda has allways been the reliability king!
You surely don't want a yamahaha 80! No power/no fun.

I like 2 crazy's responce "You need to get her a quad that physically fits her size." This is very important!!

Good luck and have fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2005, 11:25 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, that was my gut instinct (get a mini) but I am always trying to get a do-all machine. Plus, my girl is a skinny little weak thing. I had heard that the Yamaha 80s were gutless and I do like red, so the Honda may be the way to go. I saw one used in good shape last weekend complete with owners manual for $1700, not sure about the year, but was fairly new. I may try to get it for $1500. It was at an independent used 4-wheeler dealer/shop.