Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Viper 90R Break In

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 90R Break In

Any tips on how to break it in ?

Kevin

Old 03-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Try this site

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Hope this helps. I let it warm up and then ride in slow for about 10 mins then ride it hard.

Old 03-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Range Rover

There are so many different ways people do this. I have done some testing on different ways on how to break it in. And believe it or not I have put a new top end on at a National race. Just hours before the start. I also let it warm up for 5 minutes. Blipping the throttle slightly about half throttle 2 or 3 times. Let it cool down. Then tell him to go give it hell. This is the best way I've found. The piston looks like new many races later.

But the main key to keeping your engine together is maintenance. I keep the air filter spotless. I only use uni filters with a outer wear filter over it. But the ONLY oil I will use is Maxima 927 or SuperM. In fact it is the only oil that will run in all my 2 strokes. And he has 2 race bikes,1 race mini and his brother rides a rm85. The type of oil is the life of an engine. Hope this helps. Mike.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If "break in" is referring to a brand new factory Viper 90R 2 stroke engine, check the details within the supplied manual. If I remember correctly, it probably states to drive under 1/2 throttle for a while and add 50:1 premix in the 1st tank of gas. As a suggestion, only run 100:1 premix for 2 tanks of gas. Thus, much less smoke yet it still gets a little more oil then after break-in. If your Viper came with a spark arrestor, do clean the spark arrester after every 3 full tanks of gas. With factory OI system and pre-mix for the first few tanks of gas, the spark arrester sometimes plugs up with too much carbon. As another suggestion, use a brand of OI Oil that is Synthetic based. Synthetic based oils (OI and Pre-Mix) do smoke much less. Thus, less plugging its spark arrester and inner piping system with too much carbon (from the smoke).

Hope this helps as well....

Old 03-05-2006, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't worry about it too much if its just a kid puttering around the yard.Just try to vary the throttle a bit for the first few hours.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Thats just the thing with the break in. Kids just putting around on them for the first 20-30 miles. They need (in my opinion) to be broke in hard. And a kid new to the atv scene want be able to do that. Feel free to jump on it yourself and give it the works. Your extra weight will make the engine work harder on seal those rings right.

Old 03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, I drained the injector oil and it looked nasty, it was black and runny, (probably Taiwan Oil) then i put in what i run in his JR50, Yamalube injector oil, then i drained the gas put in fresh gas mixed with Klotz premix 100:1 ,(I run Klotz in my RM250)

I rode it around the yard for about 10 min varying the throttle and so on, i cant believe the difference it ran with my brand of fluids!Before i changed them it would load up and fall on its face, spit and sputter , and die.

Anyway, about him, he started riding the JR50 on his 4th birthday, (present from me)with no training wheels[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Then i got him an LT80 when he turned 5, now the Viper for his sixth birthday. So needless to say he doesnt put too much, He has 2 jumps in the 1 acre back yard. I turned him loose on it today, so its pretty much broke in, i just let him ride it the way he does.

We do alot of trail riding , and was tired of pushing him backward on the trail to turn around, so i decided it was time for reverse!
I chose the Viper because I saved $500 over the name brand, it has a rear disc brake, head and tail lights.So far I love it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for the replys,
Kevin

2005 Polaris Srambler 500 HO
2001 Kawasaki Lakota
1997 Yamaha Warrior 350
2003 Suzuki RM250
2004 Suzuki JR 50
1993 Suzuki LT 80
2005 Viper 90R

Old 03-05-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear you got it going without anymore spittering / sputtering.

As another suggestion, check its spark plug color now. It should be dark to slight black. The reasons is, it's running factory OI and Pre-mix at 100:1. If it is white or has white specs, its carb is running too lean (too hot). After the 4th "new" tank of gas, put in a new spark plug (normal heat range) and do 1/4 throttle "chop tests" to tests its new color. It should be slight black to beer bottle brown color. Beer bottle brown is the best color. If wondering, many dealers set their carbs on the "too rich" side. Thus, you may have to move the carb's main need's C-Clip 1 notch - to obtain a beer bottle brown color. Being a 2 stroke, you should check its spark plug color when the weather changes 10 degrees as well. 2 stroke minis are very sensitive to weather changes. After checking the plug color multiple times (re: weather changes) and altitude changes, you'll quickly learn the conditions that "influence" the plug color / jetting on your new mini. If wondering, we have an '03 Pred-90 and its factory air box was factory set for 40F-70F. For my sometimes -5F to +80F weather conditions, I too learned very quickly when to re-jet our mini's factory carb. Either that our "burn out" its factory piston.

Hope this "re-tweak its carb after break in" info helps as well...

Old 03-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spike99

Glad to hear you got it going without anymore spittering / sputtering.

As another suggestion, check its spark plug color now. It should be dark to slight black. The reasons is, it's running factory OI and Pre-mix at 100:1. If it is white or has white specs, its carb is running too lean (too hot). After the 4th "new" tank of gas, put in a new spark plug (normal heat range) and do 1/4 throttle "chop tests" to tests its new color. It should be slight black to beer bottle brown color. Beer bottle brown is the best color. If wondering, many dealers set their carbs on the "too rich" side. Thus, you may have to move the carb's main need's C-Clip 1 notch - to obtain a beer bottle brown color. Being a 2 stroke, you should check its spark plug color when the weather changes 10 degrees as well. 2 stroke minis are very sensitive to weather changes. After checking the plug color multiple times (re: weather changes) and altitude changes, you'll quickly learn the conditions that "influence" the plug color / jetting on your new mini. If wondering, we have an '03 Pred-90 and its factory air box was factory set for 40F-70F. For my sometimes -5F to +80F weather conditions, I too learned very quickly when to re-jet our mini's factory carb. Either that our "burn out" its factory piston.

Hope this "re-tweak its carb after break in" info helps as well...

The Viper is really not that touchy about jetting in stock condition.We've ridden ours in a wide variety of temps and its always ran well just the way it came from the factory.Ours did run much better after it burned out the oil that came in the tank and I switched to synthetic Motul 600 oil.It started much better and ran much crisper...Good luck and enjoy.I'm sure you'll be happy with the Viper.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]