Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

clutch help on sunl 110st

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch help on sunl 110st

The first thing you did WRONG was you turned the adustment screw to the left and you need to go to the right instead. Once you loosen the jamb nut that stops the slotted screw from turning, you MUST keep a wrench on it when you adjust the slotted screw so that it does NOT turn with it. Turn the slotted screw clockwise until snug, than back it out a quarter turn, than take your jamb nut and tighten it against the adjustment screw so it wont work its way loose.

Best of luck.

Bill

Old 07-14-2007, 06:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks muddy - that info will help when I get this clutch back together.

Current Status: I ordered the tool smb05 told me to order. Worked like a charm. Put a strap wrench around the clutch and gave her hell. Couldn't keep the clutch from slipping, so I pulled out the air wrench and let her rip. Nut, washer and clutch came right off [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Time to disassemble now
I laid out a old bath towel and took the clutch apart one piece at a time. Since the three friction plates had the fiber material worn right off, it was not that difficult. I was careful to lay out the pieces the exact way they cam out, not flipping them over or anything. Now I have it in pieces and know what I need, the friction disks. So off to search the net for Honda fiche with the exact clutch. Sure enough, pulled up a Honda 97 XR70R and the clutch is almost a dead match. Talked to 3 Honda dealers looking for Part A Friction disks (2 of these) and one Part B Friction disk. Well, one dealer had Part A and the other dealer had Part B. So off I went to the honda dealer with my clutch in hand. I labeled them with duct tape.

The Honda parts are a dead on match.

After studying the new parts I soon figured out how the new pieces went back together. Remember, all the fiber material was gone. Flipping the old piece over looked like the other side. The new one had the fiber on one side (Part A) and on both side (Part B). Basically, you don't want fiber on fiber, you want fiber on metal. Knowing this, anybody could figure out how to assemble the clutch, not that big of a deal....

Assembling
My problem is compressing the thing so I can get the retainer ring back in the clutch basket groove. It is a SOB trying to do this. So, there must be a tool for this too. <span class="FTHighlightFont">I'm now looking for this tool so If anybody can share with me where to get this tool, I'd appreciate it.</span ft>

For those of you who want to know these pieces are dirt cheap. Each is about 6-7 bucks a piece. Unless the basket it tore up, I would not spend $100 on a new clutch. I'd just rebuild it like I'm doing. The same dam thing is going to happen with the new one. I'm hoping the OEM Honda parts will last longer and give the clutch better grip and new life.

thanks
Scott

Honda Clutch

Old 07-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

anybody?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, I finally got it back together. I ended up using a bolt with huge washers to compress the clutch. Got the retiaing clip in the basket, changed out the oil and gave it a test drive.

The clutch works better then ever. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:10 AM

with these wet clutches.use non detergent oil or oil made for atvs,scooters, dirt bikes ect with wet clutches only