Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris 90 Outlaw problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 90 Outlaw problems

I need a bit more assistance. We just purchased this quad and it stalls repeatedly. We purchased it used and the seller told me they did not use it much and it looks pretty close to brand new. But, it hesitates and stalls and it difficult to start once it stalls. I checked the plug and it was ok, I put some fuel conditioner in and drained some of the fuel but not all of it along with adding some new fuel of our own. I checked the fuel vent by opening the cap on the tank, unscreing the drain plug on the carb and watching fuel leave from what I thought was the vent line...After resecuring the drain plug I drove the unit myself around a few times around the field and it ran ok, just a little rough at idle. I then retighted the fuelcap, ran it around the field once and it was ok....My son ran it around a bit and it stalled. We are not running it real hard since according to the previous owner it still is in break in period. I have not replaced the fuel filter yet and I am using regular unleaded fuel. Any suggesstions or does it seem I might be in more serious trouble here? Thank you for your help

Old 03-21-2010, 08:17 AM
Trailblazer

Sounds like you need to clean the carb.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/kids...ttle-dies.html

Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default If I clean the carb

How do I do that? Do I run some stuff through the carb or do I need to take it off and clean it out.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

You need to take it off.
I'd also clean the fuel tank out well. Take it off and dump it out if possible.
I'd run premium. Fuels now days are not very good IMO.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

The outlaw 90 has a breather tube that leads from the neck of the gas fill tube and runs under the plastic and on top of the gas tank. When I was having the same problem as yours I pulled that breather tube and found that it was pinched almost closed by compression of the plastic cowling on the tank with the breather tube in between. I routed that tube back towards the seat and removed the pinch in the breather tube. That solved my problem. Seems to have been a common problem with the early years of the outlaw 90. Wish I could get more speed out of it though as it is a great little quad but my 7 y/o daughter wants to go fast. Hope that works.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

if you loosen the fuel cap just a tad, it will allow air in and fix the problem.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought my son an Outlaw 90 last summer, he drove it for about 1 month and it started smoking real bad. I took it back to the dealer and they installed new piston rings. After that it was hard to keep it running, it stalled when cold or warmed up as soon as you let go the throttle. The dealer told me to not baby it, that it would run rough until the rings got seated. About 5 months later it seems to run a little better, but still when I take it out of a heated garage into the cold ( around 20 F) it takes awhile to keep it going. But it seems to get better all the time.