Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lt80 wont idle without choke

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

" I tried to make sure the needle jet[?] next to the main jet"
I presume he meant the pilot jet. I did wonder if he actually removed it to make sure it was clean. Altho, blowing ait thru it "usually" works.
And fuel starvation can be poor compression (won't suck enough fuel in w/o choke).
Only takes a comp gauge and a minute to prove me wrong.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, sorry, I meant pilot jet. I did remove it, twice. I guess I'll try the compression check today if I can find a gauge. I really didnt think it had that many hours on it though.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer

Won't hurt to check compression but I'm betting your compression is fine otherwise it wouldn't rev up or even start. It's too lean on the bottom end so it's a carburetion issue and not mechanical.

Did the carb float bowl have any varnish build up? A yellow or green tint cheese coating?

Old 07-16-2010, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh yeah, lotsa green.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Tim Ellis
Oh yeah, lotsa green.
Ah, yeah that is varnish from stale fuel sitting...
It's also a possibility that the main jet and needle jet also have a coating in them and are slightly restricted, that also combines fuel at idle.

In any case like I said compressed air, boiling water, or even carb cleaner spray isn't going to clean it adaquately so take it back apart and either dip the parts in solvent for a day or buy replacement jets.

I have cleaned many gummed up and varnished carb's with Berryman B-9 Carburetor and Parts Cleaner, but not sure if that is even available everywhere because of different laws, but check your local auto parts stores for a dip that comes in a gallon paint can type container with a basket inside.
Fully disassemble the carb and ensure you remove any rubber components like gaskets or o-rings, needle and seat, etc because the dip will swell any non-viton rubber like 200%. Atleast dip the pilot and main jet if you want to take a short cut...
After 12-24 hours remove and rinse with a carb cleaner spray, blow all the ports and passages out with compressed air, re-assemble and you have a brand new carburetor.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much. When I boiled the carb the only thing I didnt take out was the rubber o ring below the main jet. Not sure how to R&R it. but maybe I'll get a rebuild kit and replace it after the Berrymans, IF I can get it out.

Old 05-13-2023, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default LT80 won’t idle

Did you ever figure out why it wouldn’t idle ? i am having the exact same problem I just replaced the top end and I’m having a idle prob it will start with choke then take the choke off it will run fine except a bit laggy on take off .