Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

05 eton 90 blown fuse and does not start

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been sick with the flu for the last several days.

The starter solenoid and the starter relay are one and the same.

Since a 7 amp fuse doesn't blow then the short must have been momentary. I would ignore that for now and concentrate on why the start motor would engage, and then why it doesn't start up when you jump across the starter soldenoid (relay).

For the starter relay to engage you need to have 12 volts across the two small wires feeding the relay (not the two big wires that goe to the battery and the starter). One of the small wires gets 12 volts via the ignition switch then the brake switch. The other small wire gets grounded with the start button. Those three things (ignition switch, brake switch, and start button) and all associated wiring must work before the starter relay will connect up the battery to the starter motor.

Your ignition switch (at least the switch half that controls 12 volts) is working since you turn it on and the LED's up front and the horn works.

The brake light switch is suspect since you cannot get the brake lights to light up. Have you played with it yet? Is the brake switch on the handlebars or do you have a foot operated brake? The foot operated ones are usually adjustable and notoriously finicky. Can you find the wires going to the switch? If so you can bypass the safety interlock by shorting these two wires together. See if the quad starter motor will crank, and also see if the brake light is lit with the ignition switch on.

Be careful when bypassing the starter safety interlock. If the quad starts up in gear with no brakes it will get away from you. Make sure the brake is set and the quad is in neutral when doing this.

Originally Posted by luciog
Hello Gentlemen,
i was not able to find the starter solenoid, but i did find the starter relay. I jump a wire to the red wire and the other side of the wire to the red/white wire. this made the starter turn over. the quad did not start though. Is there a way to test the brake saftey switch. I put a 7A fuse in the bike and it did not blow it out.
thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Lynn,
just wanted to say thank you very much. I have been out of town and have not been able to respond. I tried what you suggested with the brake switch and it did start. I ordered the new brake switch and everything works now.
thanks to everyone

Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you got it working .

Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse blowing

I'm having a issue with a viper 50 and 90. As soon as u turn the key on it blows the fuse at the battery. Both atvs are doing the same thing. I've unplugged everything except ignition switch and still the same thing. Harness itself looks good, no running or tears or anything. Any ideas would be great. No lights or anything, because as soon as I turn the key fuse blows.