Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

First time ATV owner needs beginner help

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time ATV owner needs beginner help

Just as the title says. I bought a 'United Motors Moontrax 90' ATV for my two young sons. They had an electric BS quad but after two times through the yard the battery was shot and needed recharched. I figured the gas quad wouild be alot better as they could ride alot longer.

They guy who sold it to me showed me the 'govenor' screw on the thumb throttle. He backed it off so it goes about the speed they can handle. My questions is that as soon as they start going down hill it seems to kick in and the quad picks up speed and opens up. I even got on it and tried it and it went slow at first but after a few yards it started to open up to a speed I really dont want they to travel. This was on flat ground too. I am a total newb with ATV's but when I bought it I thought that this would limit the speed that the ATV can travel. I am guessing that it controls the throttle but if it is able to pick up speed it will. Is there a way to limit the ATV to a certain speed no matter uphill, downhill, or on flats? I look kinda crazy chasing my young ones through the yard yelling for them to stop. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum eniced73!

The only way to truly slow down the atv would be to put a larger sprocket on the axle or a smaller sprocket on the engine.. the screw only limits the throttle...as youve found out.. the screw limits how far the throttle is opened.. not how fast it goes.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
Welcome to the forum eniced73!

The only way to truly slow down the atv would be to put a larger sprocket on the axle or a smaller sprocket on the engine.. the screw only limits the throttle...as youve found out.. the screw limits how far the throttle is opened.. not how fast it goes.
How much work am I looking at to do this? Is there any good sites to show step by step instructions? If I was to take it to a shop what price am I looking at? That is basically what I am looking at. I wanted to do something that limits the top speed but allows them to climb the small hill in my yard. Right now with the throttle scaled back I almost have to push my older son up the small hill. But if he presses the throttle on the downslope the thing opens up and gets on it. He knows how to use the brake but everyone knows kids -- it is only a matter of time until he decides not to listen again. Thanks for the help. Appreciated.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

The toughest part is finding the larger and or smaller sprocket... Seems to me there is a thread here where a guy did it to 2 of his 110cc mini utility quads...

Old 09-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default brakes lesson.

You can also teach your boy how the brakes work properly(no insult intended). I believe that's his and your best bet. If that doesn't work right off the bat then the sprocket change idea is the other best choice. It's not a hard job at all. Basic hand tools will do the job most times if you can find a proper way to keep the sprockets from spinning (don't use the gears). usually a wooden dowel in the sprocket will keep it from spinning while removing the nuts and bolts on the sprockets. Remove the front first if you are indeed removing the front one. Most times installing a smaller rear sprocket (less # of teeth) on the rear axle does the trick without having to touch the front sprocket.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

How old is the rider?