Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2001 scambler 50 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 scambler 50 wont start

so I bought this 2001 scrambler 50 and it has sat for a couple years, so I figured I'd do the basics, clean the carb, new plug, fresh gas, etc.
I was able to get it to kick start 2 different times, and when it ran, I couldnt give it full throttle or it would die. so I cleaned out the carb and it kicked over on the 3rd kick.. rode it around and had the same issue.
It died in the yard and I pushed it into the garage. It hasn't started since.
The starter idle gear was missing every tooth, so I replaced it along with the following:
new starter, voltage regulator, cdi box, ignition coil, starter relay, and stator.
drained the gas and put in fresh gas.
I don't seem to be getting any spark. If one of the electronic kills is on, would I still get spark?
kick start doesn't seem to work either... after 40 or 50 kicks, I get tired and give up.
I did do a compression test and it was 115, so that seems to be in line with where its supposed to be.
hopefully I'm just missing something stupid
any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 09-24-2018, 05:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default update

I found a good article on how to troubleshoot no spark:
Chinese ATV Trouble Shooting / How to Test for No Spark ! - QuadForumBenelux
so I disconnected the black wire with white strip from the cdi box, and I'm getting spark (this wire is used for any safety switches, so I must have an issue with either the brake switch or kill switch Im guessing)
It still wont start.
I notice when I try to electric start it, it seems as thought he clutch isn't catching right, so I've ordered a new one way starter clutch. (this is obviously for my kid to electric start is a must)
When I pull the gas line from the carb, I get a steady stream of mixed gas.
The plug is wet so I know its getting fuel.
Anything else that I am missing?

Old 09-25-2018, 02:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

As you had problems with dirt in the carb before, you may have got some more down from the tank. I would clean it out again. If there is more dirt in it, an in line filter would collect any that comes down before it clogs the carb.

The kill wire goes to any remote kill system (if fitted), the kill switch on the handlebars, and the ignition switch, not the brakes, or the motor would cut when you apply the brakes.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default more info

There is an inline filter for the gas already, but if its plugged up a little bit, could be the reason that when I did have it running, I couldn't give it full gas without it sputtering.
I wasnt sure if unplugging the black/white would disable where you have to hold the hand brake in order to start it.

Old 10-01-2018, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default still nothing

I have replaced the one way starter clutch, the battery, the kick start mechanism and the reed valves.
I pulled every connection on the quad and hit them di-electric grease to make sure I have good connections.
got spark, fuel, and compression.
Anything else that anyone can think of for me to check?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Plugged pipe?

Old 10-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Plugged pipe?
I tore the pipe off and made sure it was flowing freely... hooked up an air compressor to it and it seemed to breathe just fine.
The only other Idea I had was that the new carb was flooding the quad. So I tore the old one back apart and cleaned it.. put it on, and cut the gas. I'll try starting it again tonight.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

so I replaced the top end tonight... started and ran.. but bogged out when I gave it full gas. was hard to keep going. Now wont start again
I have new crankshaft bearings & seals coming.. I think they are leaking and causing fuel mixture issues.
I didnt want to split the case, but I can hear the bearings anyway, so I might as well take it apart and replace the seals too

Old 10-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default another update

At some point I lost compression and I'm pretty sure that's why it wouldn't start... I assume one of the crankshaft bearing seals went bad.. With that being said, I tore the motor down.
After splitting the case, one of the crankshaft bearings was completely shot. got everything back together and I still have no compression.
so now I get to grab a leak down test kit and see if I can figure out where I went wrong.
There was no gasket when the case was split.. I guess I assumed there would be. I didn't put one in when I put it back together.. should there be one?
anything anyone has seen that would be a quick check?
I appreciate any input.
Thanks

Old 10-16-2018, 08:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

When assembling the cases you use hondabond/yamabond/etc to each case 1/2 then assemble.
What top end kit did you use?

Quick Reply: 2001 scambler 50 wont start