Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

why not street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why not street legal?

has anyone in ca tried to do a spcn registration? special consruction or home made registration is what i think it could be.

Old 10-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Sandattic
has anyone in ca tried to do a spcn registration? special consruction or home made registration is what i think it could be.
That sounds like a good idea. What do you do when you build a kit car from the ground up? They have to have tags too.

I just went to a local tag agency here in Tulsa last week and when I asked them how I go about getting a tag for an "off-road" bike that has been converted to street use they kind of scratched their heads for a minute. The guy went and found their law book and started looking through it. He asked for my title, which I gave him, he said "this is a four-wheel vehicle", I said, "yes, but it's been converted for flattrack/street use", then he went to the back and spoke with a manger. They made some calls and came back to tell me it was a three-step process. It would cost $38 to get my Yamaha title converted to an official Oklahoma State title, then I would have to bring all the reciepts for the parts I used to make it street legal, then they would submit that to the OTC (Oklahoma Tax Commission) for approval. They basically said it's up to the state. I doubt VERY seriously the State of Oklahoma is going to approve my request. So after spending $1000+ on street parts, I'd probably be back to where I started...

Old 10-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Range Rover

Hi guys, I am just flipping through pages and found this, I am slowly becoming an expert on this street legal stuff. the majority of the states have it writen so that to be street legal you have to have a differencial type axle, not a "live" axle.
here in Michigan we are breaking down old barriers that have had the road shoulders closed for years. we'll take every mile we get, but it would be easier if the state would just except the fact we are not going away and reopen the whole lower half of Michigan.
as for you some of you that have looked at trike conversions. the Yamaha corp actually own the rights to the reversed trike design. its pattenetd through them to keep it out of production.

I have seen rear triked raptors and banshees and they are pretty cool.

Old 10-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]It seems as though many of us have a lot of ideas and ways to try to get the Quads street legal. I think the push also needs to be put on the manufacturers. They need to hear from us that we demand street legal quads. They should have the resources and the connections in government to produce street legal dual purpose Quads. Afterall doesn't market demand produce products that we want?
Also, as mentioned before by others, Quads get great gas mileage as compared to cars and trucks. Government should be supporting their entry into the market as a means to conserving gas. Our state, county, and local officials need to hear from us.

Ciseroe-still waiting to buy my first street legal ATV

Old 10-07-2005, 10:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds like another good idea. Everyone who would like to help make quads street legal, go to Yamaha's Corporate suggestion site (or your favorite quad mfg.) and tell them you want to see street legal quads!

https://www2.yamaha.co.jp/info/global/suggestions.phpYamaha Motor Corporation Suggestions

Old 10-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

Here in Idaho if you put on and mirror and a horn it's street legal. I think.

OneWolf

Old 10-22-2005, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Yetti, I am also looking into making my 300 EX street legal. With gas over $2.50 a gallon it would be more then worth it.

This is the form they go by in Michigan. My dad went through it to get his dune buggy street legal. Bad thing is they specify how many tires the motor vehicle has to classify what it needs to be road legal. So going by that, we would have to convert to a trike to be titled at a motorcycle.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

I think I am going to do it, because it would be great to just ride the 20 minutes to the Mounds, etc when I want to ride. Plus it would just be fun to ride to work. I don't know if I made it a trike, got it plated, and went back to 4 tires if they would harass me if I still had DOT tires on it. (The 20" DOT trailer/golf car tires that fit 10" rims)

The title to my EX specifically says "ORV vehicle not to be licensed for highway use".

Sad thing is I see a ATV being a lot safer on the road then a motorcycle. Oil patches don't make us fall over....

Old 12-18-2005, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

The best way to legalize ATVs for on road use is a long one but will be worth while in the long run. First you need to write a proposal to the state Rep. And find what is would take to change the laws concerning ATVs and street use of them. In this letter you should add aspects that are more appealing to the state such as:

1. Better Registration of the ATV
2. The revenue the state would generate due to the licensing fees.
3. The amounts of people who are comfortable on ATVs as opposed to motorcycles.
4. The fact that they are a 4 wheeled equivalent to a motorcycle.
5. Equal rights to the ATV enthusiast.

Right a proposal of laws involving ATVs. Make sure you follow safety guidelines to the letter.

After you spell this out you will need to follow up with the guide lines needed to file a petition with your State. Ask how many names you need. Then write up a short petition that will briefly explain what it is you are trying to achieve. Make copies to give to a number of friends and then set out to gain the names of the people who would be interested.

Now contact the manufactures of all ATVs and see what they would be willing to do to help. Include the profitability to the company as more ATVs will be purchased for on road use. They might be willing to run ads for the street legalization of ATVs as it would pay them in the long run as well. It would also open new avenues for marketing and new designs for ATVs. This equals profitability.

Contact Insurance companies and see what they can do to help with insurance on a street legal ATV.

After it is all said and done wait and you will see it on a ballet for the public to review and vote on. Then it is up to the people of your state to decide if it will pass or not.

Good Luck to All

P.S. I am right now setting up a petition for Missouri. I will keep you all updated on the progress.

Old 12-18-2005, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

How do you get the states or whoevers email adress. i live in oklahoma

Old 12-18-2005, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Put Oklahoma Stae Rep in your search. This should link you to the site... I never email I just Go into the office... we have one here in my town. I emailed once and got some info and then went streight in. But I do Think before you try to start your work... do some research and not just friends but anyone you work with... See I talked to at least 50 people in my area... only one said why would you want to do that... Yet still he said he would sign the petition. So Research and this way you have an idea what your exploits will do...

Quick Reply: why not street legal?