Painting floor in new shop

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting floor in new shop

I hope this is not to far from the subject of this forum but I trust you guys and your opinions so here goes. I have bulit a new 30x40 shop complete with a new Eagle lift for autos, but off coarse my main interest is in ATVs. I am thinking of putting down a 2 part epoxy paint on the floor to help reflect light and aid in clean up. I understand that in this respect it is great. The promblem seems to start when you start using heavy jacks and enigine stands and roll them around it starts the paint to cracking. It then starts pelling and you end up having to repair it all the time. I also build all my own trailers and some for my buddys. I am afraid that all the draging around of metal will damage the paint. Have any of you guys tried this and how did it work out for you? What brand did you use?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Never used the stuff but I'd say with the proper sealant it shouldn't scratch or peel.

Musclegloss

Flectec

Epoxy Solutions

You may want to look at industrial strength stuff instead of home garage stuff.....

Good luck, wish I had a shop that big [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Im really lucky to have this new shop and even more lucky to have a wife who let me build it. I have really worked in some junky shops before and have paid my dues. Thanks for the links. I will keep researching the floor coverings.
J.R.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Let us know what you decide, I want to paint my garage floor and also need something that will take the kind of punishment you describe.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 part epoxies work great. Dragging a sharp metal object across any painted floor will damage it. Make sure you get something that has something like crushed walnut shells in it to keep you from slipping on it when you spill something on it.

Congrats on the garage.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I work for a guy who is great with elastomeric coatings.

If you are interested,,,i will ask him for his opinion.

good luck

Old 07-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

I work in a healthcare facility with several mechanical rooms and a large shop. We have tried several different kinds of floor coverings and it seem that what you use its just a matter of time before you need to touch up or repaint. Floor coverings that have a non skit additive are great for a non slip surface but are very hard to clean because of the gritty surface. On the other hand a nice smooth surface is easy to clean but can be very slippery.

Epoxy paints hold up the best but will still crack and peel like others in traffic areas and is costly.

Oil base floor paint holds up well but not quite as good as epoxy, but the cost diff is substantial.

A CLEAR coat works very well and doesn't show touch up areas like paint does. Just doesn't give the nice appearance as color paint.

We are using a standard oil base floor paint because of cost. We feel that the epoxy paint does hold up a bit better but because of the cost it is not justifiable to us.

Just like any paint job, if the surface you are painting is not prepped right it will not last at all. Very smooth concrete is also very hard to get paint to hold. If you have a very smooth service I would suggest renting a concrete floor grinder and scuffing the floor before you paint. This will be well worth the rental cost because the paint will hold much longer.

Hope this helps and congrats on the new PLAY PEN!!!!!

Old 07-10-2003, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the responce. My floor is very smooth and I may just leave it alone. I did have them add a waterproof agent to it so that it would not sweat in humid weather, somthing we have here in Okla.
J.R. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]