ATVs and Hunting

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a non-hunter, I have questions about using ATVs when hunting:

1. Doesn't the noise, or the smell, of an ATV frighten the game away?

2. Doesn't the noise and movement of an ATV aggravate hunters who are stalking their prey?

3. Is it really safe to drive an ATV in the woods during Deer Hunting season?

4. Is there some sort of etiquette involved in riding ATVs during hunting season?

Old 10-18-1999, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

Good questions all! I nor anyone else has all the answers to all the questions. (Some may think they do, but that's a different subject altogether! lol) All I can do is give you my opinions.
A lot about each of your answers really depends on your situation and where you are, which may differ from mine, which may differ from the next person's, etc. etc.
1. As to noise and smell frightening game - I have to say yes it can. BUT. Some say the noise of an ATV does not frighten game and I myself have seen deer while riding - but I have also watched from my stand as deer left the area in a bighurry upon just hearing an ATV coming and before it ever came into sight - on a number of different occasions. All I can tell you about is what I have myself seen. But I don't hunt from my ATV - I ride it down in the bottoms in the area of my stand and then walk the rest of the way in. Given a little time, things settle back down - if all it took was human contact to frighten deer out of an area every deer in the world would be pushed up against the oceans by now! lol.
2. The noise of "joy riders" during the season definately can and will aggravate hunters! Where I live just about all the land is leased by various hunting clubs. And if I'm on my lease for which I pay $500.00 a year to be a member and someone comes buzzing by me, yes I will definately be upset! Be they members or not! If they are not members they are tresspassing (All boundries of our lease are plainly and legally marked) and if neccesary they will be turned over to the proper authorities. If they are members, well that is handled "in house" so to speak. It hasn't been a problem so far but if it ever is, it will be shut down quickly. Most of the national forest areas that are normally open to ATV's are closed to them during hunting season here in Arkansas.
3. If you are not on your own property, yes I would say it could be dangerous to ride during deer season. Any responsible hunter would never take a shot before they not only clearly identified their game, but also made sure they had a clean shot to a vital area of their game. But, not all hunters are responsible, any more than all ATV owners are. Or any other group you want to name.
4. The best "etiquette" I could tell you is to just treat the hunters and anyone else you might meet with the same respect you would want someone to give you or your family. On public property, they have the same right to use the land as you do - in some cases more (ie - here they are allowed to be there at times and you aren't - just like you are allowed and they aren't when season isn't open) Don't ever buy into someone telling you it's public land so you can do what you want - I promise the judge won't buy that! And you won't either if you happen to pop up over the hill just as that hunter takes a shot at the deer right in front of you from the other side!

Sorry I got carried away here! Extremely long post! Like I said, these are my opinions - many who don't agree will have different to say I am sure!

Mark

Old 10-18-1999, 01:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

i'm a hunter and atv rider. in response to your questions.
1. it's hard to say if game are scared away.i've been as close as 50 feet from deer on my quad.
2.most hunters will get real upset if your riding around where they are hunting.
3. play it safe and wear a orange vest or hat.
4. the best time to ride during hunting season is on sunday. most people scout on this day for a better place to hunt.

hope this helps you out. tool

Old 10-19-1999, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

I wondered all those things myself. I guess after a while it settles back down out there, much like if you take a missed shot. As far as riding around during hunting season, I think that's asking for trouble. Even the slightest sound could make a deer look up and see the hunter, spoiling his hunt. You are correct, many hunters are not responsible either, this may bring on its own problems, especially in the backcountry where if you get hit with a slug or a broadhead you probably won't live to tell about it. I'd say just use common sense and courtesy.

------------------
Want a Magnum or Sportsman 500!!!

Old 10-22-1999, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am also a hunter and an ATV rider.

1. Normally when you hunt, you enter the woods before prime hunting time and do not park right next to where you are hunting. By the time the deer start coming around everything has calmed down. However: I have, on more than one occasion, parked my quad right under my stand. And on more than one occasion, have had deer walk right up to it to see what it was. Deer are a very curious, yet cautious animal.

2. If you are riding in the same place someone is stalking their pray then something has not been comunicated correctly between parties. If it is public land then there is not a whole lot you can do about it. If someone is hunting on public land and knows it is also used by ATVs then he should have NO right to get mad since he knows the possible outcome. If it is private land then the owner should advise each of the people that he has given permission to that there is another person in the woods, either riding or hunting.

3. It is never safe to ride during hunting season. This again falls back on what I summed up the last question with. Just make sure to know your surroundings.

4. Etiquette? Watch your butt!! There are too many crazy "wanna be" hunters out there that will shoot at anything that moves, even if it goes vroom!! vroom!!

Old 10-22-1999, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. ATV noise and smell may move game, depending to some extent how familiar the animals are with equipment (e.g., farm machinery, automobiles) operating in their area. A conscientious deer hunter would approach his hunting area before shooting light, dismount, and walk to his stand or still-hunting area, as mentioned already on the topic. ATV riding would be minimized during the prime hunting times of dawn and sunset. While ATV operation may drive game AWAY from a hunter, they may be driven TOWARD one as well, except:

2) No hunter would welcome the arrival of an ATV during prime hunting time. "You spooked my deer!", is the charge, true or not.

3) Safe to ride ATV's during hunting season? A function entirely of the responsibility of the hunter population. A competent and responsible hunter will not shoot unless he clearly identifies his target and his backstop, the likely projectile path for a miss or a through shot. Some hunters are neither competent nor responsible; one hopes a minority, but only one can cause an accident.

4) Etiquette. I agree with previous comments on this topic; with the "SEARCH" function you can find a previous topic with various points of view.

Bottom line: Use common sense and consideration; avoid confrontation with armed strangers in the woods.

Tree Farmer