Do you worry about someone stealing your ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you worry about someone stealing your ATV?

Hey Guys,

I just picked up my first ATV (Suzuki 750 King Quad) and I'm wanting to use it for riding trails and hunting and fishing in the National Forest near where I live. If I use it for hunting and fishing I'll have to leave it parked near the trial while I do my thing. I'm wondering if I should worry about some scumbag coming along and messing with it. Maybe even a bunch of scumbags that could try and load it up in their truck. Am I being overly worried? I wonder if there's some kind of alarm I could put on it? Any thoughts?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insure it, the best theft protection.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would agree get Insurance that is the best protection you can have. All of my quads are insured and for less than one truck payment a year I think it is well worth it!

Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

When I first got my quad,being a teen I would wake up at night and go to the garage to check on it,it was my first big investment,I paid my life savings for it,so yes I wake up at night to make sure it's there.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had several stolen from my driveway but don't worry about it much when I take it anywhere else. You can get full coverage insurance for $10 a month. It's a wise investment. If you try chaining your ATV to a tree like my friend did you might get a ticket. Some forest rangers are real dicks, and this one said it could damage the bark on the tree. Carry a gun and stay close to to your ATV if you're really worried.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

jumbofranks comment about carrying a gun gave me an idea....when you're out hunting leave a note on it that says "I am close by and have a rifle and if you think I'm kidding just try to move it!" LOL! It would certainly make me think twice if I was a thief!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

i worry about theft as well. I hate the thought of anybody stealing the things iv worked so hard for... but i would get ripped 4 insurance. my parents only want me to insure it threw the family insurance peddler, they quoted me $65 a month for my 01 foreman! thats the same amount as my friggn truck insurance!

so therefore my antytheft protection is 1" log chain, 2 padlocks, and a close watch when i take it out of the garage. pretty lowtec, but iv never had a problem

Old 12-10-2008, 09:28 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Kryptonite Faghedaboudit lock and chain!

http://www.kryptonitelock.com/...px?cid=1000&scid=1002

I have used these all over the place....like motel parking lots at night and out in the woods for days....and nobody messes with anything!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

jumbofranks comment about carrying a gun gave me an idea....when you're out hunting leave a note on it that says "I am close by and have a rifle and if you think I'm kidding just try to move it!" LOL! It would certainly make me think twice if I was a thief!</end quote></div>

Even better if you could rig up a laser pointer so it was aimed at the quad.

If I read that note, then saw a red dot on me, I'd be outta those woods in record time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Don't know how accessible your spark plug wires are, but you could just pop them off while your away from the quad.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far the Xena lock and ABUS 14mm hardened security chain are working okay for me. Neither one can be cut with bolt cutters. The chain is over 1/2" thick, about 9/16". The shackle on the lock is even thicker. It's about 3/4" of an inch. And it has a built-in alarm. The chain fits into the notches in the side of the lock and there's no room to get a saw blade in. It's nearly impossible to pull the lock apart sideways or break the shackle. Two semi trucks pulling opposite directions might be able to break it but no regular hand tools are going to do more than scratch it.

P.S. The shipping weight of 24.5 pounds for a padlock and 6-foot chain is no joke. This is HEAVY-DUTY.

P.P.S. Progressive insurance is only about $120 a year for collision, comp, medical coverage, and everything. Mine is higher now because I switched from a $500 deductible to $100 and the rate difference caught up with me last month. I think it's $180 a year now. That works out to about 50 cents a day.

Quick Reply: Do you worry about someone stealing your ATV?