How Do You Handle Fuel Storage????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 06:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How Do You Handle Fuel Storage????

If stored in plastic containers, fuel will lose the small low molecular weight molecules, becasue they pass easily right through the plastic. This will cause a drop in octane rating, and leave behind the large high molecular weight molecules that will turn to varnish and scum. On the other hand, fuel stored in sealed metal containers can litterally last for years!!!

Ok, so I store my fuel in metal containers and I run Klotz Octane Booster which has a fuel preservative, but WHAT ABOUT THE FUEL LEFT IN THE QUAD'S PLASTIC FUEL TANK???? No matter what, it will gradually lose those small molecules, and I don't think we are all prepared to drain our tanks after every ride....

I always top up my tank after a ride, to reduce the amount of surface area in the tank where oxidation and evaporation will rapidly take place. I can't say that I have noticed any drop in octane (no pinging) as a result of long term storage in the quad's fuel tank, and I have not had any gummed up carbs or fuel injectors in a decade, since I began running Klotz.

Nice that my dual-sport bikes have street legal metal fuel tanks! Not exactly light weight, however.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I think you are worried about something that is only an issue if the fuel is stored for a while. If I were storing my quads for several months, I would drain the tank, run an additive or both. Since I use mine at least every couple of weeks, I'm running new fuel all the time. While I don;t know the numbers I'm thinking that any octane drop over a period of two or three weeks would be too small to notice.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You can bet, all those bold claims made by fuel preservative manufacturers, ARE BASED ON THE FUEL BEING PROPERLY STORED IN A METAL TANK! While a fuel preservative will prevent oxidation, you are still going to lose the low molecular weight molecules through your plastic tank...no way around that.

A few weeks storage is no big deal, but around here the cool months are the desert riding season, and the hot months the mountain riding season. We ride the sport quads in the desert, and the utilities in the mountains....so, my sports sit idle much of the summer and the utes sit idle much of the winter (except for occasional mountain snow riding). With 7 quads and 2 dirt bikes, I'm not going to be constantly draining tanks....no way. Like I said, I have not had any problems with gummed up carbs or FI, but no doubt the octane rating is decreasing the whole time.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!

I run StaBil in all my fuel. I never know when something may sit for a few month, or even most of a year. My mower will sit for all winter, fire right up 2nd or 3rd pull year after year. We have 7 quads, a few gas tractors and things like tillers weed eaters and leaf blowers. I never have any trouble with the fuel. But I add StaBil to every can of fuel I get just so I know everything is safe.

Not sure about Octane loss, only my DS650 needs over 87, and I run it enough to keep the fuel fresh in it but I also run leaded race gas in it that stores well.

Old 11-29-2009, 08:31 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

With my KTM I will drain the tank if it has sat for more than 2 weeks. For my 2 strokes I usually have a mix of 76 Premium(92 octane)76 race gas(100 octane)...it seems to be able to sit for 2-3 mos with no effect on performance. If its been longer than that Ill drain it...on the air cooled Hondas and Chinese 4 strokes Ill drain the gas after 6 weeks or so...All the drained gas goes into my F350...it doesnt seem to care if it gets old gas.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStir
I run StaBil in all my fuel. I never know when something may sit for a few month, or even most of a year. My mower will sit for all winter, fire right up 2nd or 3rd pull year after year. We have 7 quads, a few gas tractors and things like tillers weed eaters and leaf blowers. I never have any trouble with the fuel. But I add StaBil to every can of fuel I get just so I know everything is safe.

Not sure about Octane loss, only my DS650 needs over 87, and I run it enough to keep the fuel fresh in it but I also run leaded race gas in it that stores well.
X2 works for me!!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I haven't had any problems with this issue. Almost all gas stored in 5 gallon plastic jugs on a rotating basis. Used for quads, lawn mower, wood splitter, and snowblower. No issues. I use a 50:1 for the leaf blowers, weed whacker, outboard motors, and chainsaws. Again, no issues with performance or pinging. I have a couple of metal cans and things don't seem to run any different with those. Just my own experience. I run the summer stuff dry for winter with StaBil and the winter stuff for summer.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:29 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally Posted by coyote170
X2 works for me!!
X3. Stabil works great.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

For me, there's a bunch of 5 gal plastic jugs locked in the tool box in my pickup, and I've had no problems at all.

The only precautions I take are to drain float bowls when done riding (or mowing) for a while on carb equipped engines, and at the end of the season I dump the gas cans in the girl friend's car...

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

Being a Torco Race Fuels dealer I have to deal with storing fuel for up to months at a time. I usually keep a 30 gallon drum, and 10-15 5 gallon pails around at almost all times, the metal containers seal nicely, and like said, preserve fuel. As for my quad, I drain my tank and float bowl after every ride.