big dilema transporting atvs

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big dilema transporting atvs

Anyone know where in Tampa Fl. I could rent an enclosed trailer at least 6x16?

I convinced my friends to drive all the way to WV to ride the Hatfield McCoy trails, now I have to figure a way to get all our quads there. The biggest Uhaul rents is 6x12. It will do if it has to. But I need to move 4 atvs and can only jam 3 in a 6x12 so one would have to go in the truck bed and all our gear would be on top of the bikes. I thought of a flatbed trailer, but 1 bike is an extra and would be left at the campsite so I want to stay with an enclosed trailer.

Thanks for any info.

Old 12-15-2002, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider

good luck on that one, a couple of flys in the ointment that I found when trying to do similar things with motorcycles are this...
large open trailers usually rent by the week and amount to about 1/3-1/2 the cost of buying one if you could find someone that would let you rent it. uhaul motorcycle trailers are only used locally, so taking one out of state may be VERBOTTEN. you are better off to do a round trip rental, and return where you got it. the diliemma in this is, while they will let you rent on a national level, the local dealer whants to be sure he has trailers of a certain size that he can rent, over and over again. I ended up buying one for the exact reason. maybe you could go to someone who makes trailers and see what they can do for you, as far as renting it..a local welder made mine, and he also makes enclosed ones..

Old 12-17-2002, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Why not just rent a uhaul that is big enough to haul the quads and your gear?

RoostKing...

Old 12-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

To rent a Uhaul truck would be a little over 1400$ not including gas, thats way to much. The biggest trailer they rent is 6x12 which would do but without a square inch of room to spare. Our max trailer budget is 500$ and I want to try for under 300$. The 6x12 Uhaul would only be 150$ so we should be able to budget a slightly larger trailer no problem if I could find one.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider

tom,
good luck..
as far as insurance on trailers goes, the break off point is 12', over that length, insurance goes up big time..that is why you probally can't find anything bigger than a 6x12. I found out when I did this, (was looking to go to vero beach for a week, with a rented u haul, that the cost was going to be 250 or so..the trailer was 735, so I bought it instead. I also checked around with trailer makers to see if I could rent one..but decided that the $ would be best spent on purchase. if you can't find anything else to work, maybe a trucking firm would carry them up and back..the enclosed trailers are hard to find for rent. so either 1 u haul enclosed, or 2, that way you could have room. good luck in your quest..but since you know what u haul has available, you can check other places to see if you can find something creative. but if you can't you may want to be sure that a 6x12 enclosed trailer will be able to fit your quads in..I know that my 6.5 x 12 open trailer will fit a beartracker sideways, and prarie 650 longways, the p 650 won't fit widthways becuase of the tires. also end to end it is about 3" short.. maybe there is enough of a diffrence between ryder, jartran, and others to fit your needs..possibly a construction rental place has what you need as well.

Old 12-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider

We need an enclosed trailer to store our gear in also. IN Fl a enclosed trailer big enough for 4 quads is around 3000$, only 3 guys are going and dont want to go in 1000$ each. Our lodging plans have changed so the 6X12 Uhaul will work much better now. We are going to take the wheels of the bikes so they we can fit 4 in the trailer throw our gear on top and put bike #5 in the truck bed. We will only use 3 bikes at a time so once we unload our gear and the extra bikes it will work good. We were originally going to camp. We would have had to load and unload most of our gear every time we need to transport the quads to a trail head or back to camp, now we are going to rent a place to stay so we can leave the gear and extra bikes there during the day.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-25-2002, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

Can you put the quads on their grabbars,face them together like two people riding a wheelie collided,strap them together that way and shove them into the trailer?One set behind the other.
I think it would work if hieght wasn't an issue.

Trending Topics

Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

We are taking 3 ATVs and 2 ATCs. The 3 wheelers will fit facing oposite directions in the first 5-6 feet of the trailer easily. 2 of the 4 wheelers will fit side by side in the remianing 6-7 feet with the inside tires removed. The remaining bike will be in the truck bed.