Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

PARTS COMPANY DISSATISFACTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered a tether and a outerwear from Majic Racing today. They said it take 3 days to St. Louis. I'll bet it will be here in 2 days from past experiences.

Jay

Old 05-23-2001, 02:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hold on for just a second. First off Web Cam does not install the sprocket flange for the 400 ex that is the customers responsibility. (Unless you sent it to them to do so.) But even so what you are expressing is totally not possible. The bearings on the end of the 400EX cam can only fit so far and would either drop into the head or not as this particular head uses pins on either side to support the bearings from wandering (you did install these didn't you?) if not this would have definately caused your situation as the bearings could and would move to the outside, caused your cam to drop which would have thrown the timing chain and done some major damage. My business sells on the average 20 of these cams a week, and I build a good 15 400ex/440ex motors a week and have NEVER had one single problem. My current 450EX pumps out 45 HP at the rear wheels and I am using my own grind of WEB Cam. They have never been anything but superior to any other cam company I have ever done business with and I have been doing this for over 20 years. I think you are jumping the gun a little bit and need to look a little more closely at your situation. If you would have went through any of these companies:
Magic Racing,FST,Trinity,White Bros.,Curtis Sparks to name a few, you would have recieved a Web Cam. These are industry leaders and we would not sell products that would cause motor damage. As stated by another though it is a racing part which needs all clearances to be checked before and after installation.

Matt Sheldon

450EX,Banshee 404CC, Raptor 770 coming soon!

Old 05-23-2001, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

>I'll repeat that -- PRIOR TO STARTING THE ENGINE, YOU ARE REQUIRED TO CHECK FOR INTERFERENCE OR CLEARANCE PROBLEMS.

>Though you might like it better in YOUR OWN LANGUAGE.

----------

:-) LMAO

It is funny how many people start bitching about seizing their Wiseco pistons in an FL350 and give me a bewildered look when I ask if they relieved the exhaust port bridge and drilled lube holes in it. "How the hell would I know to do that?" "You know that little yellow piece of paper that was in the box with the piston..."

Old 05-23-2001, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer

PAM, I CAN ONLY ASSUME YOU ARE ONE OF THE RUDE PEOPLE I SPOKE TO ON THE PHONE...AS ON THE PHONE, YOU KEEP TALKING ABOUT GRIND, I NEVER ONCE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GRIND....YOUR RUDENESS KEPT YOU JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS ASSUMING YOU KNEW SOMETHING MORE ABOUT MY PROBLEM THAN ME...FINALLY THE THIRD PERSON I TALKED TOO FINALLY SAID "WE DONT KNOW" AND VERY SARCASTICALLY SAID "CALL HONDA AND FIND OUT".....MY MAIN PROBLEM IS WAS NOT WITH THE CAM, IT IS HOW I WAS TREATED...AS FAR AS THE CAM....I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION YOU TAKE THE SPROCKET HUB OFF WHEN HARDFACING THE CAM...IS THIS TRUE? IF NOT, COULD OVER TIME THE SPROCKET HUB HAVE WEDGED ITSELF ON A FEW THOUSANDTHS? I ASSUME YOUR PEOPLE DONT CHECK END TO END CLEARANCES...MOST ALL METAL ONCE HEATED TO A CERTAIN DEGREE SHRINKS BACK DOWN BELOW ITS ORIGINAL SIZE...DO YOU ALL CHECK END TO END LENGHT WITH A CALIPER AFTER THE HARD FACING PROCESS? OF COURSE YOU DONT.....NOW, HOW CAN YOU TELL ME THERE IS NO WAY WEB MADE A MISTAKE (AS YOU DID ON THE PHONE AND I QUOTE "ITS NOT POSSIBLE") IF YOU DIDNT CHECK THAT PARTICULAR ASPECT TO SEE IF THERE WAS A PROBLEM...AND YEAH, YOU ARE RIGHT, I SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT IT WHEN I PUT IT IN, BUT I PAID A COUPLE HUNDRED BUCKS FOR IT, I JUST ASSUME IT WOULD BE FLAWLESS....I FOUND IT HAD 15 THOUSANDTHS SLACK IN IT, FROM BEARING TO BEARING, WITH DOWEL PINS IN PLACE....IT WOULD BE SAFE TO SAY THAT WHEN THIS MOTOR IS UNDER A LOAD, AND SEVERAL THOUSAND RPMS, IM SURE THAT 15 THOUSANDTHS SLACK, BECOMES MUCH GREATER....I SURE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH, IF ANY, THE CAM SHOULD HAVE FROM END TO END MOVEMENT....IF ITS 15 THOUSANDTHS COLD, WELL, THEN I HAVE TO START LOOKING SOMEWHERE ELSE...BUT IF THE SHOULD BE ZERO MOVEMENT, I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM...AS FAR AS CAPS, I WEAR GLASSES, I CAN ONLY SEE THE BIG LETTERS...I DONT DOUBT WEB MAKES GREAT CAMS, BUT I DO THINK IT IS POSSIBLE TO MAKE ONE BAD ONE OUT OF THE MANY THOUSANDS....GREAT CAMS OR NOT, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE WAS RUDE AND SPOKE TO ME IN A VERY CONDECSENDING WAY....

Old 05-23-2001, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Most companies I have dealt with have been very good. However, I never just go with just any company. I like to use companies I know have been around for awhile. I use Ronnies', Moto Man, Honda of Troy(very good for oem), Rocky Mountain Atv, Denton Racing and of late Legacy ATV.

I started using Legacy for 3 reasons. 1. They are located only about 80 miles away from me. 2. The first time I called they were very helpful. 3. They support atv racing.

Adam Smith

99 400EX

Old 05-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Trinity racing takes sooo long to get the product to you!! But their product is top notch. I would have to agree that rocky mountain atv is one of the best atv accesory companies.

Old 05-24-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

WERE YOU YELLING AT THEM TOO?

Turn off your caps lock. If you are too lazy to type in correct case, then at least type in all lower case.

If you notice the difference between your post and the replies. Most people had a problem with one company and listed companies that have given them good service. You seem to have a problem with everybody you deal with.

You went off in a rant against Pam who pointed out that if you checked the clearance before you ran it and there was a problem, you could have prevented engine damage. First off, I am not taking sides in saying that it was defective. I have never even worked on a 4 stroke bike to visualize what you are talking about. There are very few companies who will do anything more than replace a defective product. That is, they won't pay for damage caused by a defective product, especially if the damage would have been prevented by following the instructions. I installed a piston without double checking the tolerance that I was given. After it seized, I measured an unscored part of the cylinder to find that it was way too tight. I did not even expect that I would get anything more than maybe another bore.

Even the best shops will usually not deal will someone sccreaming at them on the phone. Mistakes happen. I probably have had some sort of problem with every company I have dealt with. It is how that problem was resolved that I uses to judge whether I want to do business with that company again. If I got on the phone and started chewing them out, I probably would not have gotten resolution from any of them. If a company's goal is customer satisfaction and they believe you will never be satisfied, what would be the point of making any extra effort to try?

The one company that would not resolve a problem that they caused was ATV Racing. I have spoken with numerous other people who have also been unable to get a resolution to problems that they have had. I think the fact that I only complain about one company and that I am calm and rational about it makes my complaint more acceptable to others.

There are companies that really shine through in problem resolution. In April, Alain Fricker, the owner of Drakart (www.drakart.com) was at Silver Lake in MI with the new Formula Cross. It lost a CV joint due to improper assembly. He was pissed that the employee who assembled it did not do it correctly (for some reason, profanities with a french accent amuse me). He swapped in another axle for the weekend. A few weeks back, a customer in Chicago who just bought two machines, had the same problem. Alain fired the employee, personally assembled four new axles and flew out to Chicago from Quebec to install them.

Old 05-24-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

<<"You know that little yellow piece of paper that was in the box with the piston..." >>

Yea, sounds familiar! We always get warranty cards returned with cam cores. The cards are day-glo orange and say in big letters across the top KEEP THIS CARD!

Ah well, I've done stuff like that myself. Every time I put together one of those pre-built wooden shelving units I always have pieces left over

Old 05-24-2001, 09:26 PM
Range Rover

I agree, Rocky Mountain is the place to go if they have it. I have also used JL ATV for some parts but they don't have any where the parts that Rocky Mountain does. If you have a question Rocky Mountain will actually get back to you in very short order, usually the same day. Some places never get back to you with info.

Old 05-24-2001, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

MXBUBS,

I don't work for Webcam. Don't know where you got that idea, sorry if I wasn't direct enough in my answer. The gals you spoke to at Web are Lori and Brenda. They are very nice ladies. It takes lots to get them upset.

BTW, the sprocket holer presses up against a shouldered area on the camshaft. Even if you're running without the decompressor gears (which you should be with a high lift cam), there is no way to press the holder on too far.

You're lucky you weren't dealing with Barb at Megacycle, she knows her stuff, but she can be a bit....er....abrasive if you're being rude to her.

Oh yea, take off the freekn ALL CAPS, 'kay?

Tell you what -- guys, how about this, since we don't respond to little kids who scream and throw tantrums, why not ignore those who continue to type in all caps? A newbie mistake is understandable, continued use is just rude.

Quick Reply: PARTS COMPANY DISSATISFACTION