Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

How do I remove the recoil reel on 2003 Polaris TB

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the recoil reel on 2003 Polaris TB

Hi,

I am trying to replace the starter on my wife's 250 Polaris TB however, I cannot seem to get the stupid reel to come off. Is there a special method/technique for doing this? This thing is driving me nuts, I know it comes off counter clockwise but it's not working for me. Please help!

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

I need to take it off anyway because I need to replace the rope. So I will need to take the black cover off as well. However, in doing this, will I lose my oil? Is there any certain type of silicone that needs to go back on it?

Thank you so much for your reply!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Remove the bolts around the main recoil cover,leave the 4 bolts around the black reel cover on. Some times the long bottom bolt hangs up(if you can't remove it),just unscrew it and you can pull it partially out and wiggle the cover out. You are talking about replacing the electric starter?? Or are you talking about repairing the recoil? OPT

Old 10-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Remove the bolts around the main recoil cover,leave the 4 bolts around the black reel cover on. Some times the long bottom bolt hangs up(if you can't remove it),just unscrew it and you can pull it partially out and wiggle the cover out. You are talking about replacing the electric starter?? Or are you talking about repairing the recoil? OPT
I have already pulled the main clutch assembly off, the transmission pulley and belt, the black cover, 2 bolts that hold the back of the starter on, and the power wire to the starter. Basically the starter went out and the rope broke last week. So I need to do both.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just remove the main cover first to expose the 2 remaining starter bolts and you can replace the electric starter. The recoil housing can be worked on the bench(If the spring ISN'T broken,just rewind a new rope through the cover onto the reel and turn the black cover until the rope bottoms out,then pre wind the reel and cover about 5 turns,then replace the 4 cover bolts! If the spring is broken,reel will have to be removed. You have to lock the rear part of the recoil in a vice WITHOUT damaging the ratchet assy and loosen recoil reel counter clockwise by hand. Sometimes its hard to break loose! Manual is recommended if you have to repair the recoil OR let a shop do it as there are several parts that can be broken if you're not careful!! OPT

Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just remove the main cover first to expose the 2 remaining starter bolts and you can replace the electric starter. The recoil housing can be worked on the bench(If the spring ISN'T broken,just rewind a new rope through the cover onto the reel and turn the black cover until the rope bottoms out,then pre wind the reel and cover about 5 turns,then replace the 4 cover bolts! If the spring is broken,reel will have to be removed. You have to lock the rear part of the recoil in a vice WITHOUT damaging the ratchet assy and loosen recoil reel counter clockwise by hand. Sometimes its hard to break loose! Manual is recommended if you have to repair the recoil OR let a shop do it as there are several parts that can be broken if you're not careful!! OPT
Man, I really appreciate your help! I am sure my "wifey poo" will be just as excited when I am able to get her wheeler fixed.

One more thing, it does not appear to have the original air box on it, is this a problem?

Thanks again!

Old 10-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is it possible that the starter could be stuck in the housing after all the bolts have been removed? I am working on this wheeler as we speak.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Find a used air box off a wrecked machine OR use an oiled foam pod filter in worst case scenario! The stock air box has a foam prefilter and a replaceable paper element filter,OR some have used a cleanable main filter along with the foam pre filter. Important to use a good filter on the 2-strokes!
On the starter section ,the bendix comes out WITH the starter from the backside and goes back in as an assembly,sometimes they are a little hard to pivot out if you still have the rear starter bracket in place or just stuck at the starter gasket,just tap around it and it should pull out! OPT

Old 11-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

How can we remove only the reel from the post? WD40 doesn't seem to loosen it.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by aSCsmalls
How can we remove only the reel from the post? WD40 doesn't seem to loosen it.
If the spring or reel is broken and has to be removed,you have to carefully lock the guide assembly in a vice and turn the reel counterclockwise. Very easy to break this guide if it's not clamped down right. Remove the spring and ratchet first. The reel is screwed on pretty tight. Item#28 is the part you have to lock down.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse