Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

1998 polaris sportsman 500 4wd wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012 | 06:06 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 1998 polaris sportsman 500 4wd wont engage

4wd wont engage.had some electrical issues that blew the light bulbs wondering if damage done to 4 wd? following wiring to front of machine behind the grill i see a little electrical box what is that and could that be the issue?

Old 01-02-2012 | 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Welcome to the forum! You're probably looking at the rev limiter or the regulator/rectifier(located close to the radiator). Just look under the front panel, and you will see two small connectors with grey and brown wires on each and follow these down to the hubs. You can check first if there is voltage first at the connectors in awd with the power on. Grey wire is the hot wire. Battery has to be fully charged for awd to work! Has to have 12 volts. You can always just jack up all 4 wheels and with awd on,crank and see if front wheels turn. OPT

Old 01-04-2012 | 06:38 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok I will try this and get back to you. what i have tried so far i dont have any voltage to the 4wd switch next to trottle took it apart and checked with volt meter and had nothing checked quickly on my way to work

Old 01-04-2012 | 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by brekke
ok I will try this and get back to you. what i have tried so far i dont have any voltage to the 4wd switch next to trottle took it apart and checked with volt meter and had nothing checked quickly on my way to work
You have to be in gear(low or hi) for the switch to receive current! It gets its signal from the internal switch in the shift box,then current goes to the hub coils! This is a funky system where all things have to work properly or you wont have awd! If you don't have power to the push button,then the shift box gear position switch could be faulty! On later models (99 model and up) the gear position switch was moved to the transmission where it should have been and eliminated this problem for the most part! OPT

Old 01-13-2012 | 01:10 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your help it was the pin in the shifter slid back and wasnt making contact thanks for help

Old 01-13-2012 | 03:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I've moved shift box switches up in the past, but a lot of times they have slipped back also,if it continues to do this a new switch may be necessary or shift box wear? Good luck, hope it holds up. OPT

Old 01-13-2012 | 03:29 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks. I also have a issue with the shifter it wants to lock up periodically I unhook the linkage so I know its in the shifter took the shifter apart and cleaned it up everything seems fine it works for awhile then locks up again any solutions to that

Old 01-13-2012 | 03:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The solution is to replace the shift box! NOT trying to be a smart azz,but I've been down that road many times on the old shifters and have tried replacing badly worn parts all the way up to replacing ALL the internal wear parts and it's actually cheaper to replace the shift box assembly! It will shift like a new machine! $238 at Cycle Parts Warehouse,about as cheap as you can find(cheaper than the dealers) and comes complete with switch ready to bolt on. Switch itself separately is $104 and may not solve all your problems as you mentioned! OPT