Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Bleeding Oil Pump 2000 Xplorer 250 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding Oil Pump 2000 Xplorer 250 4x4

I had a hose break on the oil injection pump (the small one that goes to the cylinder) while on the trail. I could hear a vacuum leak so I shut it down. I was suprised to find there was no oil leakage on the engine. I replaced the hole with a clear hose and now noticed that there is no oil being pumped into the cylinder. I plug the breather line on the top of the oil tank and still have nothing. Is there a better way to bleed this or is the pump junk? If the pump is junk it looks like a pain in the *** to get at the screws (tucked in at the bottom under the carb behind the engine and in front of the trans) it is better to just plug off the hole to the cyl. and pre-mix for safety? I have a felling the pump is weak. I owned the quad for about 6 months now and only added about 12 oz to about 4-5 tanks of fuel. Doesn't seem right to me. The machine hardly smokes at all. If this is the case I have been running it for months with limited oil.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

On top of the oil pump is a 10mm bleed screw. All you have to do is crack this screw open,let oil bleed out until there are NO air bubbles then close the screw.When you crank the atv have it at an idle,then just by hand lift the oil pump lever all the way up and you will see oil pump through the line into the cylinder. You're actually allowing the oil pump to think the engine is wide open and it will pump at maximum rate. When oil has reached the cylinder just release the arm and it will pump at its normal idle rate. This procedure is to just get oil to the cylinder quickly. Plus if in doubt you can always throw a couple ounces of oil into the fuel tank and slosh it around a little to give a little extra oil until the pump can do the job on its own. Pumps are dependable for the most part ,but people get scared and want to premix. You can go a long way on two quarts of oil!! You can go through several tanks of oil before you have to add oil to the two quart oil tank! It's a variable oil pump,increasing oil delivery as you increase the throttle and doesn't use as much oil as straight premixing does. OPT

Old 08-28-2012, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree, I would rather not pre-mix. I appreciate the advice. I will give it a try.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry,I posted "several tanks of oil" when I meant "several tanks of gas" before you have to add oil to the tank! Guess it's gettin' close to this old man's bed time Just give the bleeding a try and see how it goes. OPT

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Sorry,I posted "several tanks of oil" when I meant "several tanks of gas" before you have to add oil to the tank! Guess it's gettin' close to this old man's bed time Just give the bleeding a try and see how it goes. OPT
No problem I knew what you meant. I will give that a try tonight and let you know the results

Old 08-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bleed the pump as you suggested and it works great now. Thanks for the help, you are very helpful.