Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

Final word on counterbalance oil 1993 350L

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016 | 07:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Final word on counterbalance oil 1993 350L

Hello! So as the title states, I am working on a 1993 (I think) Polaris 350L 4x4. I found the three drains on the bottom of the engine, one for the crankcase one for the recoil starter and one is supposed to be for the counterbalance. I drained each of these of the white glop that came out. This quad has sat for a while before I got it. Here comes my first question: The drain plugs in the bottom of the engine were banjo bolts. I lost the two that were still there so I cut off some old bolts and made new drain plugs. Why were these factory banjo bolts and do they really need to be?

Anyway so I'm trying to refill the counterbalance oil, and I've been looking all over the net for the fill location. I did look on the machine as well. I have gotten two different locations from multiple different places. Most people say that there will be a dipstick on the back of the engine. But one post in particular said that the fill for the 350L is on the front of the engine and is the type where you just fill to the top with oil. Who is right?

I have not found the dipstick in the back, but I did find a fill plug in the front of the engine between the water pump and the exhaust pipe. I hope that this is the right place because I have already filled that cavity completely with oil. It was a pain because of the location.

So for now that's where I'm at. I appreciate any help I can get on this old gal. From what I can tell so far this is a pretty neat wheeler and I'd like to ride it some before it grenades completely lol. I think having all the right fluids in all the right cavities would probably help in that.

Old 09-23-2016 | 08:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

They were banjo bolts after I rechecked,but no big deal on those. Regular 6mm plugs are fine. NO dipstick on the 350,only the 400 had one. Fill plug is a 14mm plug at the front of the engine for the counter balancer. Don't fill to the top!! 150ccs of 30wt,10w30,etc for the counter balancer cavity.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 09-23-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: banjo bolt drain plugs..
Old 09-25-2016 | 09:01 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Oh wow thanks for the reply! I filled it to the top based on internet recommendations (someone on a forum). I will have to drain it back out and start again. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.