Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

ECM melted and wrecked plug - advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM melted and wrecked plug - advice needed please!

Hi,
The ECM on my 2005 Sportsman 500 melted internally and also melted the big plug which is connected to the wiring harness. I have been told that I can't buy just the plug and solder it on - I need to buy the whole harness ($400).
Does anyone know if I can buy just the plug - or a generic plug? I am looking all over for a used harness but not having much luck.
I have the new ECM on order, but won't be able to go until I figure out the plug problem.
Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!
Wildbillz

Old 12-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Location: In The Beautiful Northwoods Of Wisconsin.....Good Times, Good Trails, Good People !!

You should be able to buy them separately, Try looking for a used ATV parts store where you live. Don't know what part of the country your in, Here's a number from a Used ATV Parts guy i deal with, He might take a credit card over the phone, And send your part to you. The Number is 715-789-2906, Jims ATV Salvage in Porterfield Wisconsin 54159 (Northern Wisconsin) His Prices Are Pretty Good. He Hasn't Let Me Down Yet. LOL

Good Luck Man.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great information Paul. I will give your guy a shout. I am also looking into a recall on the ECM. My dealer is saying the recall is only valid as long as the machine is under warranty. Worth checking into further.
Thanks again!!

Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by wildbillz
Great information Paul. I will give your guy a shout. I am also looking into a recall on the ECM. My dealer is saying the recall is only valid as long as the machine is under warranty. Worth checking into further.
Thanks again!!
IF this atv still has the black Chinese ecm and doesn't show that a updated silver Shure Power module has been installed on this particular vin #, the recall should still be in effect! I was still replacing them in 2010 right before I retired under the recall at no cost to consumers which was 5 years after the safety recall bulletin first came out! Huge ATV Recall by Polaris - Sportsman and Scrambler
OPT

Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Location: In The Beautiful Northwoods Of Wisconsin.....Good Times, Good Trails, Good People !!

for sure, if its recalled, you can save a few bucks, lol

Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its a government safety recall it should have no time limit. ATV:Spam word Polaris Ind. expands recall of ATVs

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the Polaris ATV, announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Sounds more like the "Consumer Product Safety Commission" forced the issue not Polaris doing it out of the kindness of there heart.

I know guys who had the recall done years after and they where not even the original owner.
In Canada the warranty is only 6 month long so that would not give much time for any recall work if your dealer is talking the truth.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just Wanted To Wish Everyone Out Here A Happy Holiday !!!!!!!, And Have A Happy New Year. Wish Everyone Good Health & Happiness, Ride Safe......Peace !!!!!

Old 03-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default time

Originally Posted by wildbillz
Hi,
The ECM on my 2005 Sportsman 500 melted internally and also melted the big plug which is connected to the wiring harness. I have been told that I can't buy just the plug and solder it on - I need to buy the whole harness ($400).
Does anyone know if I can buy just the plug - or a generic plug? I am looking all over for a used harness but not having much luck.
I have the new ECM on order, but won't be able to go until I figure out the plug problem.
Any suggestions out there? Thanks in advance!
Wildbillz
There no time limit, the dealer is full of BS!