Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch Kit for 04.5 500 HO

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Kit for 04.5 500 HO

I'am very pleased with the performance of the heelclicker, excellent low end engagement and torque. I rarely need to downshift anymore, I even pull it on the trailer in high.
I tend to ride hard for a big heavy sportsman, and the midrange performance is great. I had to do some tweaking dial it in for my 600, but the kit comes with instructions for newbie's. The top end is the same as the stock setup, but the low end where you do the technical riding and work is just where this kit shines.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:05 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: ktmguy70
I disagree, while a spring swap alone will change your engagement point and maybe get you off the line faster, A Kit with added weights will grip the belt better and capture alot of lost torque that comes from a slipping belt.
The only accurate way to to set up your clutch is with a tach and knowing the desired RPMs of your engine and the shiftout.The primary springg effects the engagment AND shiftout.THe weights effect the shiftout too.You secondary controls the back shift and belt tension.I got my shiftout set where I liked it without a weight change keeping the engagment as low as possable.So when I said that a stock machine will to better with a white primary spring it WILL help on excleration some because it has a higher shift rate than the stock spring.

Old 04-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

Will a white spring help the top end on my 04 500 sp?? Does anyone know if the lowered the gearing in the 04s from the 03s? I was out with a 03 sp on the weekend,i could take him easy on bottom end but he had more top end.

Old 04-27-2004, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

While You may have him on Bottom, and he have you on top , could be a variety of issues. Carb Jetting could be a big part of it. If you rule out the carb, also check condition of your beltm belt deflection and belt alignment.. any of the 3 can rob valuable power during acceleration and hamper top speed.. I toy with My 04 400 alot and STILL havent gotten it 100% where I want it. But im a perfectionist and I think a majority of rider just go with what the manufacturer gives them without doing any fine tuning..Just getting your Jetting spot on can make BIG improvements and only cost a few dollars for jets.
The WHite spring will help a bit, but really helps acceleration more than top end. Was your friend running totaly stock, both you and him have same sets of tires etc?

Ron
04 Sportsman 400
Dynojet
K & N
Heelclicker w/ White Primary
Magellan GPS

Old 04-27-2004, 12:10 PM
Range Rover

As far as i know its bone stock and we have the same tires,i got 50 lbs on him too?.did the heelclicker improve your top speed?did your dyno jet kit help alot?Whats belt deflection?

Old 04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

bubs , I just got back from trying the epi red in my primary which is the same as the polaris white ,it does seem a litle better in the mid range but no more top speed it still does 56 mph out of the hole it is better and will wheelie with ease in low range but that is because it is engaging at a higher RPM ,I think I am going to run it for a while at least until I get my heelclicker ,I was thinking the same thing as you when it comes to the gearing I asked about it on hear before but nobody seemed to have any info on it ,it does seem like something was changed though because they do seem stronger down low than earlier models (at least my 01 ho anyway) but not as much topend .

Old 04-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

Bubs ,I think I have figured out the reason for the lower top speeds on the 04 500HO,if you look on your jetting and clutching chart that comes with the quad at the top of the page in small print it tells you the changes they have made for 2004 will be in shaded boxes and if you look down to the chart you will see the helix boxes have been shaded and a different part#then the one in the owners manual and also shows a little leaner jet for below 40 degrees f.but I don"t think that would have as much bearing on the top speed as the helix change,this was really bugging me ,I new they had changed something but I didn"t know what ,Ikind of prefer it the way it is because it seems to have a lot of power down low and makes it better on the trails ,you just have to keep your drag races short.