Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04.4 Sportsman 400 Rattling Front

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04.4 Sportsman 400 Rattling Front

Sorry- that's what my mom said when she got off the phone with the dealer, didnt think it was worth it to try to get her to explain[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]... anyway, it made the noise this weekend, but ran fine. he said that it wouldnt do any damage. I'm not paying for it though, so if any damage is done now or later because of it, he'll hear about it again.
THe new sportsman 400 rides a lot nicer than our 250's in the trails and mud, its a great feeling. but on the open dirt road, its a little rougher, but i think i'm just too light to make the back shocks work at all. even jumping on the back rack, the back only goes down like 2 inches, where as the 250's bottom out completely. like i said, sorry about the typo- when he gets the parts and fixes it, i'll find out exactly what was wrong.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys-
Still havent heard from the dealer about my winch and the piece but anyways-
while trying to figure out how to change the oil on my Sportsman, i was looking around in the chassis under the engine trying to find that crankcase drain thing and found- my battery cover plate thing. I had noticed that this wheeler didnt have one, but my old 250's did, and figured it was just designed out this year. But apparently the dealer(?) had stuck it down there under the engine for some reason. Whenever i turned left, it would slide right and under the shaft that drives the front diff. It would then grind against that joint in the shaft, and vibrate and make the whole frame make a big grinding noise. The cover was a little scratched up, and after putting it in place, the noise is gone... I wonder what his explanation of that bearing's gonna be when my winch finally comes in.
And i never found that crankcase oil drain plug...

Old 06-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

something there sounds fishy, LOL
when i first read your post i thought you was refering to a rattle around the hood area, the 400's hood rattles under there somewhere, att least mine does....haven't gotten around to fixing that yet, maybe i should before i head to WindRock

Old 06-08-2004, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Tyler,

The crankcase drain plug is located directly under the crankcase. There is an 1 1/2" by 2 1/2" oval hole in your steel protective frame plating. You got to get under it and look through the hole to see the drain plug. You also got drain the oil tank too, see your manual for instruction on changing the oil.

PAatvr

Old 06-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

they are using a central hillard system in this unit which puts the AWD engagement system into the front T-box, the same style that the 700 has been using . In 04 /04.5 models they had a running change in the front diffs to I think try to quite them down from excessive gear noise. In doing so they did remove a bearing from inside , basically the front diff. is completely different from previous model and the dealer needs to take a better look at service man. and see there is not suppose to be one there. The noise is suppose to go away with some miles, couple hundred, or there is now a screw to properly adjust the backlash. So if they tell you that they replaced the missing bearing, tell them they are nutz

Old 06-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, i know about the rack rattling noise, but I couldnt tell where this one was coming from, probably because the whole frame was rattling from that cover.
PAatvr- i figured that was the right nut, just didnt look like the one in the illustration on the oil change sheet.
How important is it to drain that, as well as empty out the oil lines like the instructions say? We didn't really have the right tools with us so we only changed the oil that drained out of the first plug, and the filter.
Thansk for your responses.