Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Polaris I'll own!!!!

Don't sweat it. It's too good of a sport to worry about what you ride. I like Polaris, but who cares? If you've lost confidence in them you'll probably never trust them again, so get one you have confidence in. You'll feel much better whether or not it is a better machine. It's just how our minds work, that way. If you get something else let us know what it is and how you like it.

Old 10-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Three of us used to go moose hunting. We all used a Polaris 6 x 6 and we each pulled a trailer behind us. The trip to moose camp was 25 miles one way and the terrain and mud boggs were so bad that in a wet year it would sometimes take 14 hours. We beat those machines to death. One of the guys was like me and believed in preventive maintence. I think we made about 8 trips to camp during hunting season and prehunting season to do gear drops. The only time any of the 6 x 6's gave us a problem was with my one friend who said he adjusted and lubed his chains like we told him to, but he really just fibbed. He rounded off a spocket with about 1500 miles on his. Sure, things break but man I am impressed with how these machines held up. So impressed I pick up my new 6 x 6 next month. I wished now I never sold the old one!

Old 10-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

shoulda bought a honda in the first place

Old 10-20-2004, 12:29 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

BareTread, stay off the Polaris fourms. And BTW check your Pm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Pro Rider

I think this entire topic was rigged. Kids at play no doubt. The less we say the better. Cheers to my fellow Polaris riders[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) We do own the one and only true 4 wheel drive quads where all 4 wheels have power on demand

Old 10-20-2004, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tbsleeper
sounds like ur not doing something right...ive never had any troubles except my bearing carrier
not doing anything right...he washes it, and greases, changes the oil, and rides it like an old man........
how the heck can he be doing anything wrong?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

SNOWWOLFE,
Sorry,but Polaris is NOT the only manufacture that makes a true 4x4.

1.Kawi has it
2.Suzuki has it
3.Yamaha has it
4.And Bombardier has the Visco lock

The nice thing about the above manufacturers is that you can put your 4x4 in that mode and have a limited slip front diff[easy steering] OR you can select 4x4 Diff LOCK and have BOTH front wheels receiving equal amounts of torque,just like your Polaris.And you dont have to worry about your rear wheels slipping first before the 4x4 will engage,or leaky front hubs.

Bill

Old 10-20-2004, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

sorry to hear that, I've had a fuel pump go out on my 700 EFI after 11 miles but nothing since then. I own two of these bad boys and I love them. hope you can find it in your heart to give polaris another try but if not I would recommend the grizz or the rincon.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MUDDY4LIFE
SNOWWOLFE,
Sorry,but Polaris is NOT the only manufacture that makes a true 4x4.

1.Kawi has it
2.Suzuki has it
3.Yamaha has it
4.And Bombardier has the Visco lock

The nice thing about the above manufacturers is that you can put your 4x4 in that mode and have a limited slip front diff[easy steering] OR you can select 4x4 Diff LOCK and have BOTH front wheels receiving equal amounts of torque,just like your Polaris.And you dont have to worry about your rear wheels slipping first before the 4x4 will engage,or leaky front hubs.

Bill
The Bombs system does not provide 100 power to all 4 wheels, I have witnessed quite a few times under severe strain, the bomb reverting to a 3 wheel drive.
WIth the Polaris system your also not limited to low range operation.and dont have a revlimiter limiting your wheel speed in 4x4 mode The polaris system is one of the best in the industry in my opinion, it definitley has stood the test of time.
I remember you Bill,( I believe your the same Bill) Back in the days of Gordon Banks, You praised this sytem then. Un deniably if you had all the trouble you say you have had with the Polaris Machines, kudos to you for switching brands, but also, realize there are people, LIKE myself who have went 6,000 miles or so on a 4 year old polaris that routinely was in rack deep water, and held wide open in endless mudbogs.
It didnt over heat Like the Grizz, it didnt bog down for lack of low gearing like the rincon, and it sure didnt need to have any levers pulled to VARIABLY lock the front end like Kawasaki ( which is Huge joke, either you need all 4 wheels pulling or you dont, who's stupid design idea was that anyway?) It went, didn't complain, and always started.. All on one belt. THATS why I own an 04.. I wil say THANK god they finally have some good tie-rod ends on them now!

Old 10-20-2004, 01:13 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to the responses.
Couldn't get my wife and son off the computers last night.

Snowwolfe: Maybe a kid at heart, but 32-years old.
I feel like a kid when I get to ride. But, when you limp back and have to make repairs every time, it makes you feel like a very old man.
Each of these machines haven’t been rode rough but they aren’t rode gently either and they are well maintained. (greased after every ride (chains too)).

Let me give you guys a quick history of the problems I’ve had with the 3 Polaris’ I’ve owned:

Bought ’96 Sportsman in June 2002 - Miles (around) 1800
August 2002, Carburetor rebuild $220.00
October 2002, Belt (3rd), Belt Cover and Tie Rod ends had to be replaced. $210.00

Bought ’99 Explorer in June 2002 - Miles(unknown)
January 2003, Right front CV Joint $180.00
June 2003, Replaced chain and sprocket(s) for Front. $175.00
September 2004, Replaced chain and sprocket(s) for Rear. $315.00

Bought 2002 X in January 2003 – Miles (around) 140. Still has less than 300 miles.
July 2003: Water pump $150.00
February 2004: Clutch for belt went out. $315.00
September 2004: Carburetor rebuild. $230.00
October 2004: Electrical System. (Just for the parts) $410.00

The last problem, stated for the X, hasn’t been fixed, yet, because I have no money left from the repairs last month! So, it gets to sit a while and collect dust.

The Problem: The X is skipping when you give it a lot of gas. It starts and idles excellent! The plug and the plug wire have been replaced and the carburetor has been adjusted but nothing has corrected the problem. It can’t burn the fuel, given to it, at half throttle. It just blows black smoke (unburnt fuel). The last ride I went on, the X gradually lost power the entire ride then it started skipping and flooding.
I’m open to any and all recommendations.
I’ll buy the fact that sprockets & chains wear out but the CV Joint on a ‘99????
Each machine has had to be taken to a different Polaris dealer due to closings.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to buy a new machine. I now believe I would’ve been better off to bite the bullet. But I know the bikes previous owner’s and they were all treated fair and well maintained.

Sy

Quick Reply: Last Polaris I'll own!!!!