Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help me pick mods between these two options.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me pick mods between these two options.

Conig
My 2000 model has and HPD trail pipe and HPD aggessive clutch kit ( it is the red with yellow stripe primary spring <FONT color=#0000ff>Engage/Shift Lbs: 122/239)

You really should save and buy the whole kit. I know you are having trouble touching base with rick, but If you tell him what clutch modifications you have done, he won't sell you anything you don't need. You really need to understand the PVT transmission. By adding a pipe (or any engine mod for that matter) you clutching must be adjusted to take advantage of the new found power. If you don't your perfomance could acctually get worse (But it may sound like your going fast HA,HA ).

I will try to explain, Your clutching engages at XXX rpm and shifts out at XXX rpm no matter what you do to the motor.

At Stock 36hp
At engagement your engine is producing 29hp @ 4500RPM
You will moderatly clime to MAX 36HP @ 5800 RPM, Then you begin to drop off all the way to 26HP @ 6600 RPM MAX
Ideally you wanted your shift out around 5600-5800 RPM (MAX POWER BAND in a stock engine)
(SHIFT OUT is when your primary clutch drives the belt out on the pulley and drives the belt down in on the secondary, You want this to happend durring MAX POWER if at all posible)

Add a pipe and proper jetting you could gain 10hp
Now At 46hp, but the powerband is totally different
You are acctually pushing less HP than stock untill 4950 RPM (LESS THAN STOCK)
At 5000 RPM it will start to climb, all the way to 46 hp @ 6350 RPM, Then you begin to drop off to 40hp @ 6850 rpm
Ideally you want your shift out around 6250 -6450 RPM (MAX POWER BAND)

Now lets put your factory clutching in to this modified motor
At engagement your 46hp engine is only producing 26 hp, Remember we engaged at 4500 rpm ( so you will actually fell less power off the line)
You may begin to feel some difference at 5250-5600.
You will be shifting out at 5600 only producing 40 hp. Thats only 4hp more than stock. And you were expecting 10hp gain

You see you were not able to put all the new found power to the ground

With the 46hp engine You should have adjusted your clutching so that engagement was at 4975 RPM (36HP) and shift out around 6250-6450 (46HP)

Proper clutching is EVERYTHING, </FONT>

Old 01-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help me pick mods between these two options.

thanks for the responses guys unfortately prior to reading these posts I ordered the reeds yesterday anyway. that being said I guess theres no use crying over spilt milk. I'll aslo be sure to give more time before doing something in the future. I did have nice posts worked out for each of ya'll but my browser erased them so I will try this again.

brave ops- fortately she will wait, plus its not official until I ask her pops. I guess I can buy some time by delaying asking him.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
thewayout420- hopefully that won;t be an issue for me, its already been discussed me not cutting into her her hobby budget for cd's and concerts and her not cutting into my budget for the quad or my exotic fish collection.

Waahehe94 thanks for the imput it will be put to good use in the future.

naturalite- cool screen name thats funny, I drank the heck out of it in my younger years. hopefully I will get some throttle response atleast so I can think there was a gain. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Rick thanks for the responses hopefully the cage will work for me latter down the road, once again wish I had read some of this prior to ordering but I just added them to some other things I needed. a champagne diamond in a platinuim setting is very expensive the option to get mairried with a lest costly ring has been discussed and actually mentioned by my fiance, and then a nice ring at a latter aniversery date. getting the ring she wants is as much for me as it is for her, she's just really cool about things like this. I just want nothing but the best. also thankyou on the congradulations. and congradulations yourself on the 20year aniversary.

Bubahyde thanks man you told me exactly what I was thinking, but you cleared it up alot in my mind, I was hoping I could get away with just a primary clutch spring which is much cheaper then a clutch kit and get a clutch kit down the road. guess thats not really an option, this is why I wanted the rcr midrange since it says it works best with stock clutching, I have more then I need for the trails, just have an immaturity when it comes to being on straight power line trails and wanting to blast everything else away.

once again thanks guys, maybe I'll sell the reeds, its not really worth sending them back with restocking fee's and what not. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]