Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SP500HO vs KAWA Super650

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this be the next "battle of the Titans"?

Old 09-19-2000, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting in any case, TxDoc2!

I wonder if the advent of the Kawasaki 650 will start the avalanche of impassioned, sometimes angry, posts, as the announcement of the Raptor produced.

You may remember the "Can so!" "Can not!" "Can too!" "Can not!" abstract arguments that raged, long before any production Raptors were released.

Will Kawasaki fans now insinuate themselves into the Polaris and other forums, with "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, nyah!" posts, as Raptor boosters invaded the Bombardier and other forums?

You remember them, the "duh, yur no lawnger nr wun, th rapters gona kleen yur clok . . ." posts.

On the other hand, there are the doubters, who will claim the Kawasaki 650 can't get out of its own way, or even climb a wheelchair ramp up a street curb.

Then comes, cataloging the imagined design defects and shortcomings: "From that picture of the Kawasaki 650, you can tell that the toe-in and steering geometry is all wrong; that thing'll probably wear out its tire tread before it gets rolled past the showroom door." Skepticism about the Rubicon's transmission, published long before any Rubicons reached the dealerships, provides ample examples of this type of post.

You may recall, while the Raptor was unborn and untried, posts reading like, "Ain't no way a Raptor can beat my (fill in this blank; in at least one notable example, "Banshee"). Unless you believe a (Banshee) is the fastest and bestest and most perfectest of all quads and now and ever shall be, you're too stupid to read and understand this post."

The release of ANY new quad (even the modest 250ex; earlier, the Rubicon) appears to insult and threaten some ATVers. I hope they have enough self-confidence to survive the release of the Kawasaki 650.

Encouragingly so far, a number of posters of diverse persuasions have welcomed Kawasaki's "raising the bar," because improvement and innovation in ANY quad improves them ALL, in time, through competition. I join those posters!

Tree Farmer

Old 09-19-2000, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

SP500HO vs KAWA Super650
>Will this be the next "battle of the Titans"?

Nope. It'll be the SP700 Twin v/s everything.

Old 09-19-2000, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

the battle will be a sp700 and kawie 650 i still think the sp700 will be the best, but the kawi will be very good and prabally the second best 4x4. this is not the news honda wanted to hear.

the only problem i see with these big machines is that everone will have to take out a huge loan.

later
jon

Old 09-19-2000, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon,
How can you say that you beleive the 700cc Sportsman will be better than the 650 Kaw?We are not even sure if we have a 700cc yet.We have NO specs,no ground clearances ect.I think I know what you mean,however,lets not count our Chickens before they hatch.===Bill

Old 09-19-2000, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

true bill
but i say that because there is no mention of IRS an this is a big factor in 4x4's. i assume that if it did have it they would have said it. i also know that polaris wont let kawi have anything it doesnt have, but that kawie 650 does sound like a great quad.

even my local polaris only dealer which is very small knew about the kawie 650 and they new about the up coming sp700.

later
jon

Old 09-19-2000, 08:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't see any IRS coming with this new prairie. I do see the 700 sportsman coming out for total competition for this. I'm believing it now. It will be the same deal as HO vs. Rubicon, but this time, it will be Kawasaki reliability that helps it out. I say a 700 sportsman would win the shootout by the same means that the 500 won over the other 500's and 400's. IRS and a lot of other stuff. 650 looks like it has potential for my future quad. Only a foresight, but I will give it a chance in the coming months to see what I like and don't like about it.

No telling what this thing will cost.

Old 09-19-2000, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Its all conjecture at this point. But, I think Kawasaki will dethrone the Sportsman! Who knows, as you guys say, it will be fun......

I am personnaly interested in this new quad, this could be my new ride.

Old 09-19-2000, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

This SP 700. Has anyone got any proof that is it for real? Any pictures? Any specs?

Am I the only one that will wait to see it before I believe it? I may be wrong in the future, but I still remain skeptical that it is for real. I need some proof. The only thing I know about it right now is that people on this forum say it is coming.
Now don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a 700SP. I just wish there was some proof.

Old 09-19-2000, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Prcisely Lurch. For now--the 500SPHO and 650Kawa are reality. I just wondered if any post/thread will ever top the venerable AC500 vs SP500?
Whatever happens, it will only benefit everyone. Unless, quads end up being $20,000 each. Hopefully we won't see a post where a guy buys a quad and the kids go without shoes! I don't think Honda will ever put a V-Twin in a quad. I know they just came out with some new V-Twin technology, but I cannot imagine them ever putting a "small" one in a quad.

Quick Reply: SP500HO vs KAWA Super650