Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 Sportsman Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sportsman Questions

I just purchased an 05 Sportsman 500, and have a few questions for you experienced guys that already have one:

1.) The rear running lights (the red ones) never shut off (even when the headlights are off). Is that normal? I thought the rear lights would only come one when I turn the headlights on.
2.) In "low beam", the 2 lower headlights are on. In "high beam", only the 1 upper headlight turns on. Is that normal? I thought when the "high beam" was turned on, both the 2 lower headights and 1 upper headlight should be on.
3.) The rear rack rattles. I put 2 small pieces of urethane foam on the both outer edges between the rack and rear fender, and that stopped about 90% of the rattle. There is still a little rattle in the rear rack, but I can't find it. Any ideas where it may be coming from?
4.) Are there anything rattles or rubbing of parts that I should look for, and fix now?

Thanks for your comments

Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

1. The red lights are on no matter what.

2. If you want all 3 on for hi beam Cick Here

3. I put padding in the same area. I also padded the metal piece under the rear rack. Take the rack off and pad it all the way around. Then make sure all the bolts are all tight. I hate rattles.

4. Remove the entire front container. It's easy. I used double sided tape everywhere I thought it needed it. Also, ake sure the metal on top of each rack it tight.

5. Check your hoses and every other bolt on the quad too. It will take a few days, but you'll be glad you did. I always find a bunch of loose ones when I get a new quad.

6. Also, your throttle cable is rubbing the frame in 3 areas. It will rub off the covering. You will have to take care of that by wrapping something around the cable. These 3 areas are located within 10 inches of the carb. You'll find it easy. Click Here for an idea of how to do it Thanks Chris

7. Double check that your spark plug cable is not tight between the frame and gas tank. Make sure it moves freely.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

Did you find this to be helpful?

Anyone want to add to this?

Old 03-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris5,
Welcome to the forums, we are all here to try and help each other the best we can. Also congrats on your new sportsman! I was a little frustrated as you sound when I bought my first new atv. You expect it to be much like a new car when you buy it, but be assured it is not, and trust me that is good. Hopefully you are a little mechanically inclined, it will save you a lot of headaches if you can do your repairs and maintenance youself, and will also allow you to much better enjoy your atv. atv's require a lot of maintenance and care to perform trouble free, as I've learned. Jeffoxsr mentioned most of the main things, also be sure to check all of your coolant hose clamps to be sure they are tight. The side panels on my '05 sp were buzzing like mad (mines a twin), so I folded a strip of electrical tape over the leangth of the edge on the front housing that each side cover slips over, to take up the clearence. I must say I think the overall fit and finish of the '05 is much better than my '03 was. Oh yeah, read your op manual front to back, I learned a lot about mine by doing it.

Old 03-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I put some double sided tape on my side panels too.

Old 03-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: jefffoxsr
I put some double sided tape on my side panels too.

I need to do somthing with mine also, it rattles like crazy. It will be an easy fix, just find all the rattles and snug them up with somthing!!

Old 03-08-2005, 11:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

> Sorry it took so long to respond. Your suggestions were very helpful. I
appreciate your comments. I checked the web-site you directed me for all "3
lights on in high beam". Unfortunately, I could not find any information about
this in that website. I spent 15 minutes looking for it, but maybe I'm not
smart enough. Can you tell me how to find information on this kit in that
website?
>
> One more question. Regarding the hitch, do you have a 1" drop draw bar, or 3"
drop? Poloris sells both of them. I can decide which one to get, or which one
will work better.
>
> Thanks

Old 03-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

For the kit you can private message elkbow by going to his post and clicking the lock icon.

Second. I didn't drop any on the hitch. First reason is that I have a small trailer that has a hitch height that high. Second reason is that I have a tow loop hooked to it. I want that tow loop to be easily accesible for towing if I get stuck. I don't want it under the mud. Check my pictures.