Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Amazed by Aaen Roller Clutch!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2000, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had it installed on the Scrambler last friday. All I can say is WOW! This is one of the best "few hundred" dollars ever spent. It got rid of the lag in the throttle. Acceleration seems much improved, it seems to take a lot less time to get to 50mph! I was not expecting such a tremendous difference in performance. Unfortunately I was hunting and had to ride my Xplorer...I was missing my Scrambler 5 minutes into the ride!

As I said a few times before, the dealers up here are way behind on technology. When I brought in the roller clutch they were all a bit mixed up. Once they understood it and had it installed, they all tried out the quad. Let's just say that Aaen will get 4 more orders in real soon...

Thanks to all you guys who steered me in the right direction... once again!

Brian

Old 09-26-2000, 09:33 PM
Range Rover

What exactly does the roller clutch do for you? Is it good for all types of ridding? Would this be as good on the Xplorer? Sorry so many questions, but I just ordered the sport utility clutch kit from EPI and was wondering if the roller clutch would be a good choice also.

00 Xplorer 400

Old 09-26-2000, 10:05 PM
Pro Rider

would a roller clutch still work with EBS? i would like to install one on my sp500 but i still like the EBS. are they hard to installl

later
jon

Old 09-26-2000, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

XPLOR, Just curious what color springs and what size weights came in your kit . Put roller kit and primary kit in my 2000 SCRAMBLER 500 4X4 . Not real impressed with it no top end. Buddy has EPI kit and it works really well . Has good top end punch and shifts down good.

Old 09-26-2000, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

Drmahon, I started out with the EPI kit,V-force reeds, and uni-filter in my Scrambler400 and absolutely loved it. Acceleration was great, performance was enhanced tremendously. Plus low end grunt was drastically raised. Like I said before, it fealt like my Xplorer in high gear. Great for crawling. But I got hooked on power and switched it(EPI) for a HPD midrange pipe and cltch kit. With the addition of an air-box mod it was tons better. Just the pipe and HPD clutch kit had much more midrange and top end power than the EPI. Lost a bunch of low end though.

The roller does not give more power but helps the quad use it better. My acceleration was greatly improved also. "Instant throttle response." Plus the weights and springs come with HPD's 90$ clutch kit. Roller clutch is a helix and roller housing "something or other".

Skidkid, The roller clutch gets rid of the power lag.(thats what i call it) Bt that I mean when you are going about 35mph and let off the gas, then hit it again, there is a momentary lag in power distribution. The roller assembly makes it feel like a geared machine. No more lag. Something about the engagement. Some others could explain it better. With the EPI clutch kit you get the springs,weights, and new helix. The roller comes with it's own type of helix, thus not needing the EPI any longer. Thats why I have an EPI kit and can't use it anymore...if I would have only known that I would be a power-addict! The EPI kit is great on the Xplorer though. It's either one or the other. I have the EPI on my Xplorer because I wanted power all-around. My Scrambler gets the really sporty go-fast stuff.

Ledebuhr1, I am not sure if it would work with EBS?

Later,

Brian

Old 09-27-2000, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

This roller clutch is sounding pretty awesome, anybody had any experience with a roller clutch on the Sportsman. Just when I thought I couldn't do much else to mine. This new HO sounds pretty awesome as well, well I guess its a Scramster or a Sportbler.

Old 09-27-2000, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

if these clutches are more efficent and dont have the lag in them, why dont they come stock from the factory with them?

later
jon

Old 09-27-2000, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

I've had the roller on our '99 Super Sportsman 500HO since fall of '98. It won't work with the EBS setup.

www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 09-27-2000, 02:31 PM
Pro Rider

Because they cost more $$$. Also, the clutching should be tuned to the rider/machine. The performance characteristics of "any" roller setup far outshadow any conventional clutching.

Virtually all of the high performance sleds come with roller setups from the factory. The engines in today's Polaris atv's are not necessarily anything close to high performance by anyone's standards. Most owners who want more performance will adjust their clutching to match the performance modifications made to their engine.