Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what is the best clutch setup for me???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the best clutch setup for me???

my secondary spring tore up my helix and so I am going to call HPD and get their shift drum conversion and team secondary but which angle helix do I want? 40-36, 42-38, 44-38? with a violet secondary spring? and s55 weights? red/white primary? should I change anything? I had a 45-40 helix before. My quad is 4x4 so cant change tire or sprocket gearing. I am planning on switching to either the CPI, HPD, or the AAEN race pipe soon. I do all kinds of riding so I might need to get 2 setups 1 for dragging at the dunes and steep hillclimbs and 1 for racing the OMRA GP series and trail riding. PLEASE help me make an informed decision thanks.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure the guys at HPD can tell you just what you need. They have all kinds of helixs and springs for all applications. They could help you out the best I'm sure.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the biggest thing about what to get as far as helix is how is the porting matched to the pipe? Without knowing how your porting person did the cylinder raises a question. Also the pipe plays a big role in power output at a certain rpm range. The helix for a trail pipe will be different than race pipe, and if the cylinder is ported differently from one to another then it might affect the way a helix acts upon the motor.

Please dont mis-understand this response. I am by no means bashing or questioning the person or company who ported the cylinder. If they dont have an in depth comprehension of how the power delivery needs to be on a CVT transmission then the porting can be less than desireable.

When porting a polaris jug they should have asked you what rpm it runs at (or what pipe), what compression you will be running, and what kind of engagement you would be using. This would have everything to do with power output at a certain rpm range and would be extremely useful in clutching the machine also.

This is why HPD, Ritter, etc offer a trail port and a race port. They know what gains will be made and how to clutch and pipe the machine to match. About all I can tell you to do is start at the trail mod setup for clutching and try to tune from there. Bubba