Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is the Polaris System a Tough One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK you Polaris owners, help me out. I'm looking for an atv to be used strictly for utility work around the farm; logging, pulling wagons, grading dirt and clearing snow. I posted on the Utility ATV forum and got some response to my request for help with Suzuki vs Honda. I had not originally (and this search is just starting) considered the Polaris due to their reliance on the belt drive and their local dealer network seemed small.

However, I stopped by the big Polaris/AC dealer near where I work (work in US, live...and will buy...in Canada) and was impress with the Polaris equipment. They were definitely of high quality appearance and seemed physically larger and stronger than some of the other models I've looked at. How does the Polaris drive system compare to others, like the Suzuki 3 range King Quad, in use as a utility atv? I have had snowmobiles...does it feel like that? The lifetime belt warranty seems like a good thing; but how is this system in actual use? Is the 4x4 system "real", or torque sensing like some of the others. How does this system compare to the "gear" systems? I'll admit I haven't read the brochure yet.....it's huge! I don't think I'll go as far as the 6x6 or diesel ($$$$); probably a Sportsman/Magnum. Any comments/experiences/sales pitches?

Old 10-26-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

I truly believe in the Polaris bikes. The 4wd system is great. True 4wd drive, not 3wd limited slip. They Sportsman with the independent rear suspension has the best ride on the market. Although belt slip is a possibility, it's rare. You also have the choice to select 2 or 4wd with the push of a button. Some of the others are full time 4wd. I don't think you'd be at all disappointed with a Polaris. The Suzuki King Quad is a powerful bike too, but they have yet to correct their terrible brakes as far as I know. The Arctic Cat 500 is basically a better King Quad. It uses the same Suzuki 500 engine and AC has a much better braking system. A friend has one and it a tank. I think you'd be very happy with that bike too. Then you could always buy a H*nda (sorry guys) and you'd probably be happy with that. They have a good reputation for good reason. Although I'm a die hard Polaris fan, there are other very good bikes out there. I'd suggest taking a look at each dealer and see who offers the options you would like. Good luck, hope this helps.

Old 10-26-2000, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider

Let`s see, where to start. I guess I`ll just ramble on in no particular order.
To start it is very similar to a snowmobile in power delivery just gas and go. The PVT drive helps keeps the engine in the meat of the power band. The 2 machines you are looking at have a low and high range transmission. When the AWD switch is pushed on the machine it only engages the front hubs however power will not be delivered to them until the rear wheels spin 20% faster than the fronts this action is seamless and only noticable under very hard acceleration from a dead stop. This feature also helps to lighten steering effort as compared to other manufactures with full time 4wd. This system is also a true 4wd power is delivered to all 4 wheels no matter what there traction requirement is (1 wheel in the air). Not to sound biased I will point out the other manufactures have found this to be a problem on their 4wd systems and have eliminated this problem by updating their systems the Rubicon is one example but they do not have 2 to 4wd option.
HTH

98 Scrambler 500
00 Trailblazer 250

Old 10-26-2000, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

For farm use don't bother with a Polaris. The PVT clutches will not hold up for farm use or the plastic racks. Buy the Artic-Cat 500 manual and save yourself 1,200 dollars and get a winch besides.

Old 10-26-2000, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

I do not think you will have a problem with the belt at all, but you may want to look at the Expedition since it is not belt driven.

Old 10-26-2000, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

They are as my dad would say tough as nails. the SP and the Magnum 500 are strong powerful machines, very capable. I have towed cars with my SP and the belt held up fine, the Polaris machine's win allot of the atv drags, for the type of use you want to put an atv through the Polaris is the machine of choice, they are tough , large , nice comfy seats, the best ride in the industry. The Sportsman and Magnum weight is actually to its advantage when plowing snow. 700 lbs plus rider weight with real 4 wd, you can move allot of snow in a hurry. you will no be disappointed with any Polaris model, espeically the 425 and 500CC machines. The plastic racks are fine and very rugged, don't let them fool you , they are superior in every way to metal. as for the clutch polaris had been making belt drive snowmobiles before most of the people in this forum were born, they have it down to a science. I know several famers up here that won't use anything but Polaris for there needs.

Old 10-26-2000, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

I love my polaris, but for strictly hard work where a super nice ride isn't necessary, I would strongly consider the Bombardier Traxter 500.

Old 10-26-2000, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

A post above said the hubs are engaged but power does not go to them untill needed. This is only partly true. Power is only sent to the front wheels when needed, but the hubs are not engaged at all times. The front hubs remail un-engaged until the rear wheels move 20% faster then the front wheels. It is then that the hubs engage.

Also, as for the reliability of the belt drive tranny. My step dads 1992 350L is still on the original belt. This bike is used primarily for plowing snow and pulling loaded wood trailers out of the woods. It has performed flawlessly other then a front hub that was replaced.

Old 10-27-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about the belt. Yes, they can slip, and yes, you can easily burn one out if you try. But you can also ruin the clutch on a standard shift machine if you try. The Polaris belt is under $30, and you can replace it youself in under an hour if you can change oil. I don't even want to venture what a new clutch will run. The Arctic Cat auto uses a similar system. If you want to see how the belt holds up there ask Cowboy in the A/C forum. He seems to work his harder than anybody & isn't complaining. Either the Polaris or Cats of 400 ccs or better will work like dogs.

Old 10-27-2000, 03:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info so far. I did pay a visit to the little Polaris shop near my house; I'm glad I went. That SP500 in yellow is sweet! I think the SP400 is a close 2nd. However, getting my brain (and wallet) back to reality, I was interested in the Magnum 325 4x4. Seems to be a rugged, economical machine with the same chassis and features of the larger Magnum 500. Doesn't have the added goodies of the SP's, but that's ok. I think it's about the right size for my needs / budget. The Xplorer 400 is closely priced, and is rated for heavy work in the brochure, but seems to be more of a high performance machine. True? The Xpedition series is nice, but I feel the auto trans is worth the added $1K.

I think the 325 will work well for me, especially when I hear comments of the pulling ability of the Polaris atv's. How is the 325 engine for durability?

Quick Reply: Is the Polaris System a Tough One?