Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

bypass reverse override and awd?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypass reverse override and awd?

They have it for the same reason that it is on almost all new lawnmowers. So you dont back over anyone. Some riders do need it while some others don't. I have the quadavator kit on my 04 ATP 330 and my SP 700. it kicks a$$.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Pro Rider

I did it with a relay on my 05 500
Only I wired the relay so that it does not activate in 2wd. So in 2wd I have the speed limiter and I can toggle throught the modes in the speedo with my overide button, and the front wheels wouldn't drive anyway.
In AWD the relay kicks in and I have AWD in reverse and no speed limiter.
There are no holes to drill and only a $5 relay to buy, 4 wire to conect in the speedo pod.

Quirks, if ya can call them that
1) When moving the 2wd/AWD switch from awd to 2wd it advances the speedo one mode. (like you pushed the overide button once)
2) If you turn on awd when the speedo is in "tripometer" mode it resets your trip. (like holding in the overidebutton)
Can email pics if you like.

I followed this post from SPORTSMAN70003
"You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors(for connection of wires to relay), and 4 wire splice connectors.(they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring harness coming from the speedo.

Relay terminal #30 connect to Polaris brown wire
Relay terminal #87 connect to Polaris wire gray/orange
Relay terminal #86 connect to Polaris wire red/white
Relay terminal #85 connect to Polaris wire purple.

Sat September 17, 2005 9:34 PM "

But I made the following changes

I tried this on my 05 500 sportsman, but found that the fuel guage went blank, and the relay always activated when the key was on. Therefore you could not use the overide button to toggle through odo, trip, tach, hours. Althought this does defeat the RO.

What I did instead was ground 85 of the relay, to the ground (brown) on the 12v power point (cig lighter) outside wire (power + goes to the center of the cig lighter plug)

Then I followed the 4 wire harness back from the AWD switch to the headlite pod. Found the wire that is only hot (+) when the AWD switch is in AWD (grey)(key must be on)
I hooked the that wire to the otherside of the relay coil # 86.
Fuel guage now works properly
In 2wd I can still use the RO button to toggle through the speedo modes and the limmiter still works.
In awd there is no limiter and its awd in reverse or forward
You must shift to 2wd to toggle the speedo modes and turning awd on in trip mode resets the trip.
Just switch to some mode other than trip then turn on awd and your trip mode will not clear
Hope this helps

Old 11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Trailblazer

Does the Quadovator kit have the switch included with it that mounts on the headlight pod?

Thanks,
BigDozer66

Old 11-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, it includes the waterproof rocker switch (same as the Work Light Switch on the new machines, only without the light decal), wiring, connectors and instructions. If you have an ’05 or ’06 there are three more switch cut-outs marked on the underside of the pod, you just have to follow the cut-out lines and snap the switch in.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks I think I will order one up.

BigDozer66

Old 12-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kj330
They have it for the same reason that it is on almost all new lawnmowers. So you dont back over anyone. Some riders do need it while some others don't. I have the quadavator kit on my 04 ATP 330 and my SP 700. it kicks a$$.
This makes NO point, you can still backup just with a rev limiter, and no 4x4.

So there is no real point just so that you don't use 4x4 and run over someone slowly :-)

Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Range Rover

It sure does. The purpose is so that there is no power to get over any such thing as a person, child, log or such. And so that while your hand is on that button you are supposed to be paying attention to your surroundings.That is why it is called a safety feature. Personaly I think it is stupid that is why I have the Quadavator switch on mine. This in only my opinion and you dont't have to remove this safety option from your bike.

happy trails...